Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bid today 2000 sq/ft engineered wood, client asked for two bids, one to refinish existing floor and apply a darker stain she also wants it hand scraped - lol and another bid for brand new 2 1/4 oak hand scraped, the bid also included 18 step & risers + railings, ( the original flooring is an Armstrong engineered product with only a 3/16 wear layer ) I have took on a recent snf project w/ the same floor and it came out pretty nice, but Handscraping it I couldn't imagine doing. I submitted both bids, I get a call immediately from client that says "if you can handscrape existing we have a deal" I over bid it by more then 50%, to avoid this, and she still wants it. I guess my question is to you, would you do it?? Here's a photo of existing floor.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
Is that existing an engineered floor? If it is isn't hand scraped going to be a problem?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've seen a wide range of "handscraped hardwood" from warped, to gouged and beaten to hell, looked like a broken drum sander was used.
These questions I'm sure you've asked yourself,
What tools are you going to use?
Mock up signed for approval .
One company uses inmates to handscrape, one of the nicest floors I've ever seen.
Bruce now has a nice looking Handscraped, took em awhile

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This type of stuff always worries me, well, anything that could be done many different ways (depth, spacing, etc.). I would get some sample boards and do a sample before moving forward. As to doing the work, if you didn't want to do it you shouldn't have given a price to do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SuperiorHIP said:
This type of stuff always worries me, well, anything that could be done many different ways (depth, spacing, etc.). I would get some sample boards and do a sample before moving forward. As to doing the work, if you didn't want to do it you shouldn't have given a price to do it.
I agree w/ doing a test first, my bid did not include Handscraping only refinishing the original, I usually charge an extra .75 sq/ft to handscrape.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I agree w/ doing a test first, my bid did not include Handscraping only refinishing the original, I usually charge an extra .75 sq/ft to handscrape.

only .75 more to handscrape?

have you considered your finish selection and preparation of additonal coatings?

you will need an abrader..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This is interesting, not only refinishing a handscrape, but creating and finishing on site, seams like a lotta labor and processes I know nothing of, all prefinished installs for me.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Ah women. Out of their fricking minds.

3/16 is not enough to do what is proposed imo. Youre going to lose at least a 1/16th getting the finish off. My guess is your client will want 1/16th deep undulating waves that are comparable to manufactured 'hand scraped' floors. Leaving a 1/16 margin of error. The risks would outweigh the rewards for me on this one.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Ah women. Out of their fricking minds.

3/16 is not enough to do what is proposed imo. You're going to lose at least a 1/16th getting the finish off. My guess is your client will want 1/16th deep undulating waves that are comparable to manufactured 'hand scraped' floors. Leaving a 1/16 margin of error. The risks would outweigh the rewards for me on this one.

agreed...even if only strait hand scraping ill be impossible because most likely it is aluminum oxide...good luck with that .75 extra..lol

and again,if not properly prepared with an abrader, preparation of successive coats will go bad in a minute.

time to pass on that one..they are just weighing your costs against replacement to get what they want..its no brainer for them when they do the math...

the 3 mil layer would be enough if the finishes were there..that's the same they are scraped manufactured with at the factory.

run forrest run..

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If you are having anxiety about it already, Id back out. You already know you don't want to do it, its going to be a pain in the butt and what if she doesn't like what you do? You'll end up doing the work then have to replace it when she starts complaining.

You can tell her anything you want to tell her to get out of it... tell her you broke your machine or you have carpal tunnel. lol.. Or just tell her you would feel more comfortable with her picking the floor out so there are no issues. Worst case you could just hire someone else to do it.. and still make some money since you over bid it so much.

Something is telling you not to do that job... Listen to your intuition. Its there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would really like to see anyone's custom handscraped work, so there are levels of scraping/styles. I'm gathering it has been copied at the manufacturer which got its current popularity but may have been around for centuries , aside from past millions of years before we keep destroying our earth over and over.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Well I guess that's the full spectrum of surface texture, from smooth to gouges made to look rustic. Not enough demand in my area for site finish , but I'm still trying to acquire tools for it.
If you had 3 people hand scraping, they would all have to do the same in their areas, there can be no different " signatures" or maybe alternate at intervals.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Well I guess that's the full spectrum of surface texture, from smooth to gouges made to look rustic. Not enough demand in my area for site finish , but I'm still trying to acquire tools for it.
If you had 3 people hand scraping, they would all have to do the same in their areas, there can be no different " signatures" or maybe alternate at intervals.
There's almost no demand for it here. I'm actually amazed there are guys who have that much money tied up in equipment for something that can't generate more than a handful of jobs a year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts