Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to replace my current 1991 deck and the more I look at it, the more I want to scream. What I want to build is a somewhat larger deck than what I have and it seemed straightforward at first. My current deck is really two decks with an 8x22 section adjacent to a 7x6 section. I am hoping to replace it with a deck that is 12 x 30.

The issue I am running into is code requirements for ledgers and how to deal with the home framing. The home has two finished floor heights to accommodate a 9' ceiling in the family room. The deck is adjacent to the family room and the kitchen/laundry with one floor height adjacent to the short edge of the deck and another adjacent to the long edge. All of this is over a walkout basement.

The current deck uses three ledger boards. One appears to be nailed to the band joist under the family room. One is lagged into load bearing wall studs (at least some are into studs) under the kitchen. The last appears to also be nailed into the band joist below the laundry room. All the ledgers are 2x6.

So the current deck is a disaster waiting to happen and needs to go.

Here is the house framing detail where the two floor heights meet showing how the current lower ledgers are attached.

The majority of the current deck is a step down from the lower interior floor which is what led to it being lagged into the studs on the longer wall.

What I am thinking is that I can build a small section adjacent to the family room with a lower ledger properly fixed to the band joist there. That section would effectively be just a landing that leads to a higher larger deck attached to the higher band joist below the kitchen and laundry rooms. I will have to think about the connection point between these two deck levels and how that impacts the post and beam plan. It's hard to find good examples of multi-level deck framing like this and I don't see anything in the codes that is clear here.

Curious what you guys would do.

Bill

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,545 Posts
That detail and explaintion didn't cut it for me. Pictures of existing deck would be better or a floor plan to decipher what you are trying to get at.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,799 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.