Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up in another thread. I see fellow contractors at my jobsite struggling to get paid.

They're damn good workers, but they hAve zero business sense.

I hate to see them struggling because they wayyy under priced themselves. But I don't know how to approach them & tell them they just cant stay in business at their prices.

Example: Carpet cleaner charges $70 for four rooms. Her nearest competitor using similar equipment charge $100/room.

It's like watching a train wreck in slo motion, you just know the end result... Is it rude to approach and say "hey, you ever thought of charging more?" or "Why are you so cheap?"

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think it's rude at all. I have done it more than once.
I even told the drywall guy I use that he should be charging me more and explained why. Plus, he does good work so I want him to be successful so he is still in business when I need him.
When I first started out on my own, I had plenty of roofers telling me I needed to charge more for the repairs I was doing. So I kept raising my prices until they started saying "You charged how much for that:blink:"

If I meet someone who does honest quality work, I will try to help them out any way I can. We should all help the good ones as it only betters the industry as a whole.

That said, we all know some that we hope go out of business... or at least change their ways...

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Personally I like to mind my own business. If the TV repair man wants less than the going rate to replace a couple of vacuum tubes, that's his business. So if I readily accept his price without asking questions or negotiating the deal, that should tip him off to the fact that he isn't charging enough for his services.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
If they have zero business sense they probably shouldn't be in business
Agreed.

Everyone thinks being in business is "easy". The ones who last for 5 plus years know it's not all puppies and bacon because all the hurdles that they didn't know about have already hit them in the arse and were able to overcome them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive told this same thing to dozens of people in the past....never changed any of them...now i dont bother....i had an electrician friend who was $20 under where he should be an hour...wouldnt listen to me....went to TX and paid $10k to someone who taught him how to run his business...came back and added $25 onto his price.....he needed someone else to charge him $10k for the same advice

the strong survive in business...the weak die....too bad its a friend who's underpricing himself, but he's weak and cant see it...he afraid to raise his price

every one of these guys tells me...i need to do this to build a customer base and when i get busy ill raise my prices then....problem is you built your business w/ cheap skates and will lose all of them when you raise your prices...

they never see it....most struggle..work 50 hours just to make 40 hours of journeyman pay w/ no profit...bid for free....live a average life while working to death...

i work to death, but i make more than i ever dreamed

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Reminds me of a good buddy who was a great builder, everyone locally wanted him to build their new home. Was booked out 2 yrs EVEN with the housing slowdown. He was over at our little BBQ at the shop and was complaining about being to busy. Had to laugh that "you don't get it do ya?" Told him he was so dang cheap people would wait 5 yrs for those cheap azz rates. It really made him mad! Came over 6 months later and asked what I meant and explained.

Within 2 yrs he went to being the most expensive builder and still booked out nearly 2 years. He bought all the meat for last years BBQ. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts