Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told the guy $500 I was going to use Coal slag. Local price is 7$ for 75lb bag. The trailer has a lot of rust on it the underside is about 1/2 inch of rust on the frame rails going forward. He wants a written estimate I haven't done it yet I need to get back to him when I told him $500 he seemed like it was too high. For the boat trailer only.

·
Registered
97 Posts
500 to high!!!

Wrong, I don't see how he can say it's to high. Has he ever spent an hour behind a blast nozzel? Don't let you "potential" customers tell you "your" price. Walk away and see if he calls you back. How much did he pay for the "boat" that goes on that trailer? To Much? I would stand your ground. $500.00 is a steal. Just "my" thoughts.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thing is about 30+ feet long with a lot of square tubing all of it has rust. $350 how much slag would you use you think 5 bags of Coal slag. I was thinking of garnet but since I'm not blasting in a contained area the stuff will be all over there lot. Garnet was lot more expensive but it does cut better.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The boat was a trade in they are a big RV dealer and service center Really big I have never been there before the complex is like 5 buildings on about 2 sq miles of property. They have about 40 bays fixing those big bus type RV's. They look like business is bad right now but I think I will stick to my $500.

·
Todd
848 Posts
kell if i was in your town i would sub work to you...i think the price is cheap and he knows it and want to make sure you stick to the agreement...i would be around 650-750 for it and feel pretty good about my price...for both parties.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you think I will take a loss if I go $500 how much coal slag would it take to do that this is the real question I know my blaster is different then others at least here I can run the at full speed. I was thinking of buying 10 bags of coal slag to do it probably only use 5.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

You are going to blast a play toy for someone that can afford a boat that big. I would have stared at my rate per day is 1000$. If it takes more you pay more. Would you like that painted the cost plus the 1000$ is now three thousand. The primer cost two hundred a gallon. People want to pay for the best. This is more true with their toys. For boats on that scale with the description of the place money is thrown around to impress the Johnsons. You have to charge the more outragous you think you are add ten%.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Kell.I think I use over four hundred lbs for a big auto frame. You think he might only need five? That thing has all kind of tubes on it. Looks like it could be 700 lbs to me. I think I would want around $600. But your slag is cheaper than my glass so it's about the same. I think they would walk if you said a $1000. Please report back how many pounds you do use if you get the job.

·
Todd
848 Posts
i would agree on the 1000 for a mobile job...as for most of my jobs are done in a seperated area that i recover my media over and over so i consider it almost is all profit.coal slag is gonna etch that thing up nicely...500 is to cheap if you are leaving your mess or throwing it out.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

todd have you ever thought of getting a gravity box to get your coal slag in. It is a grain wagon. You can buy one for about six hundred bucks. You could cut your abrasive cost in half at the reed plant you use.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Todd, this is way to get sand cheap you may have to shovel and tarp some of the inventory.. Twenty scoops of a full shovel fills a 650 lbs,pot.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts