Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as MUCH as i hate snow removal....we're considering something for next year. our city snow plows do not have the gates on the end to stop from filling driveways up as they go by. many times homeowners don't get home in time to shovel it/blow it out before it turns to an iceberg. we're thinking of leasing 2 large high speed skid steers with snow buckets to follow the city's 2 plow crews and selling the service of NOTHING but taking that hard packed ice/snow ridge out...no actual plowing of the rest of their driveway. we've talked to a few people, friends....and the response has been great. we'd presell the service in september and october...demand full payment at that time so we don't have to chase people down and collect halfway thru the year for the rest of it, or back out at that time. we'd put a small reflective dot/decal on their house, or mailbox....different color each year, so the operators know who is a customer, who is not....we on the average....have 17 pushable snow events....forget the contractor mode for a minute...you, as a homeowner....what would this service be worth to you annually?

thanks in advance.

PS...i know to many of you, it's worth tree fiddy...i already have in mind what we need to sell the service...i'm just curious if i'm being rational in my thoughts on pricing.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
So you are trying to market to people who would shovel their own driveways but not the apron? Just trying to understand.

How do you deal with people who currently do everything themselves, and when you sell them on this specific service, want you to clear the whole driveway?

·
Stud
605 Posts
Your city has only 2 plow crews. Either it's really big crews or a real small city. I've never seen gates on plows that don't let snow in the driveway. Do you know what they are called or have a pic?

As far as your question I would think that people that don't want to shovel the end of the driveway would be the people that have all ready hired someone to plow entire driveway. Unless you plow in the same area that you did the water line in the posted pics. The homes might be so far out of the way that people would be willing to pay for that service instead of having plow guy come back again. I'm sure you know your part of the country better than I do.:thumbsup:

What were you thinking of charging?
Tree fiddy does seem a little high.:whistling

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
So how would you coordinate that service with city/DOT plowing.

What if there are multiple plows per a snow event?

When do you clear and how many times per event?

What about a customer who pays others to plow/blow/shovel and they happen to get their DW cleared after the plows but before you show up?

Personally, I would not pay for it. I wait until the plows are thru and then plow myself out.

Not trying to discourage you from it, just some curious questions I had. This very well may be a service that's in demand in your area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From someone who claims to know everything, why would you even be interested in someones opinion. Let's just give you what you seem to dish out. First know your cost, figure in profit, & there you go, or lets just say tree fiddy.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you are trying to market to people who would shovel their own driveways but not the apron? Just trying to understand.

How do you deal with people who currently do everything themselves, and when you sell them on this specific service, want you to clear the whole driveway?
yes, many people have their own blowers, or shovel them themselves...but that ridge the city plows into the driveway, is full of salt and sand that turns into an iceberg, making it fairly difficult to blow, or to shovel. i don't want the liability of sprinkler heads, landscaping in doing the whole driveway, and i think there locally is a huge market for those just wanting that ridge taken out.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how would you coordinate that service with city/DOT plowing. these 2 machines would be used exclusively behind the city plows...when they go out, we'd go out.

What if there are multiple plows per a snow event? we would specify in our contract with them, that this service would only be provided when the city plows go, if they go out twice a day...which i've never seen before...we would too.

When do you clear and how many times per event? only AFTER the city plows have gone by their house...we'd be working immediately behind them

What about a customer who pays others to plow/blow/shovel and they happen to get their DW cleared after the plows but before you show up? ours would be a seasonal contract, paid up front...i realize, that some people will not want this service.

Personally, I would not pay for it. I wait until the plows are thru and then plow myself out. here, many people don't have their own plow, just a shovel, or if lucky, a blower. you would not be the type of customer we'd be targeting

Not trying to discourage you from it, just some curious questions I had. This very well may be a service that's in demand in your area.
thanks for the response

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From someone who claims to know everything, why would you even be interested in someones opinion. Let's just give you what you seem to dish out. First know your cost, figure in profit, & there you go, or lets just say tree fiddy.

for someone with 9 posts...you're right...i would consider you unqualified to warrant reading, or considering any of your suggestions for that matter. thanks for keeping your post within your realm of expertise and experience.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Day - I do think you may have a good marketable idea here.

Personally, the guy that plows my driveway does the apron and clears by the mailbox, etc.

I know the mound of junk that builds up after the town plows, and I think if I did all the work myself, I might consider paying someone to remove just that - considering a 6 inch snow fall could leave upwards of 2 ft of snow by the apron.

I don't like the idea of a one season, up front price. I could see a seasonal "retainage" feel plus a per clearing fee each time. For example, a $250/season fee plus $50.00 per clearing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't have anything to contribute to the asked question but you've reminded me of my younger days in NH before I moved down here to NC in '91. I was the guy that would shovel most of the way out to the street but not the last few feet so the city couldn't keep filling it in after the storm.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Every plow truck in my area windrows everything to the side so everyone needs to shovel the aprons of their driveway. I could be out all night plowing, dead tired and I will shovel that SOB before it freezes b/c I know what a PITA it is. Would I pay for this service, no. Would an older person pay for this service, yes, but as mentioned b4, they prolly already have a person to plow the driveway, so they can hit the apron too.

As far as a contractor's standpoint...steer clear.

I wouldn't consider this unless your town would be paying you.

·
The Security Guy...
102 Posts
I like the idea, but I don't think it's really feasible.

Around here the plows go a good 30 MPH+, how would you keep up with that? (even with a limited amount of customers on any particular route)

Also, I myself am on a major thoroughfare and we average a lot more swipes per fall due to traffic patterns. Would you follow that?

Just throwing it out there for ya :whistling

Jim

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Around here the plows go a good 30 MPH+, how would you keep up with that? (even with a limited amount of customers on any particular route)plows here travel at 10-15 mph...they work a motor grader and dump with one way plow together for each crew.

Also, I myself am on a major thoroughfare and we average a lot more swipes per fall due to traffic patterns. Would you follow that? city makes one pass per snowfall...

Jim
thanks for the response

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would an older person pay for this service, yes, but as mentioned b4, they prolly already have a person to plow the driveway, so they can hit the apron too. jason, i'm targeting the ken and barbie landers that both work, can't afford seasonal driveway plow...but don't want to contend with that snow ridge.

I wouldn't consider this unless your town would be paying you.
my intent is to presell all of this, and if i don't get the volume i'd need to cover expenses plus make it worth my while....i'll refund their money and scratch the idea
there are 5000 homes in my town, if i can get 1000 to sign up at $150 a year....it'd be worth my while. 2-12 hr bobcat days per snow event x 2 machines...=816 machine hours (that's the average year now with 17 pushable events....that is approx $183.00 per machine hour...i think i can make that work pretty good.

·
Stud
605 Posts

Around here the plows go a good 30 MPH+, how would you keep up with that? (even with a limited amount of customers on any particular route)

Also, I myself am on a major thoroughfare and we average a lot more swipes per fall due to traffic patterns. Would you follow that?

Jim

Plowing @ 30MPH :w00t:. Better not hit curb or manhole.

·
The Security Guy...
102 Posts
Plowing @ 30MPH :w00t:. Better not hit curb or manhole.
Heck, around here they roll up small cars! :laughing:

Heavy "lake effect snow" around hear regularly in the winter, these guys are for the most part pretty good at snow removal with minimum damage at a high rate of speed.

We're on the border of 2 towns technically in the country/county proper - we see a lot of plows...

Jim

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Back in the 70's we were hit with a major snow storm. One of the major highways drifted shut. The state had the contractor who my dad worked for at the time, bring out the big boy to open it up. My dad was going down the highway with a D8 plowing drifts. That is something you don't see these days.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
gee, this guy knows what he's talkin about....listen to him
snow removal sux.
i don't care if you're the only snow removal show in town, and make $3k an hour with your grain shovel....snow removal SUX! ever milk cows? snow removal is like owning a dairy herd....you can't leave. you can't schedule a night with family/friends...for yourself, you're married to the sheet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts