Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would it take to turn this into a soda pot. I know it can be done and if I do it, I will put a pot vibrator on it to assist in flow. I don't want to hear it cant be done or its going to cost you to much money, I just need some knowledge..Only want to know what is needed. I have never soda blasted or even been around anyone who uses soda. Yes, again I am attempting to reinvent the wheel at my cost......in other words, tinkering around in my garage. Now that the big pot is done, im board again. I got this thing stripped for new plumbing and my wheels have been turning.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
My understanding is that the key component to a soda pot is the 60 degree tapered cone.
IMO the starting point for this type of project is that.
Even the 2 ton pressure vessels we use in the refractory game have the 60 degree tapered cone.
Havent needed vibrators in our industry but I do agree they are a benefit in certain applications.
It comes back to using , what you've got and to make it work!

Goodluck with the project.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I think i'd try a regular mixing valve first, that is small and once the soda made its own cone inside might work.

I tried soda in a regular pot, (at my old job) just to see what soda would do? it worked. but its hard to meter the grit. comes out heavy at times.

it's that the soda is fine and packs itself down. the regular set ups have the air running through the pot top and at the bottom it sucks the soda into the air stream. here is a quick pic I drew

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
i was wondering this myself... especially since i just got a quote for a CRS blasting system... $8750.00 plus shipping. blasting pot only...$7350.00 plus shipping.

i'm going to post a thread with some of the quotes i get... i'm looking to not spend more than a couple grand... whether i build it or or buy it. i'm thinking it might be cheaper to get a used pot and then modify.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
That's a kick a$$ drawing jim. I thought you pulled it off the web.

The problem with soda isn't the pot it's getting paid to do it. call for a 17' airstream trailer today, blast all paint off aluminum inside walls and cieling. She was willing to pay as much as $200.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As far as I can tell, it seems pretty easy to convert one to soda. First, I would coat the inside of the pot if it is at all rusty, get a good moisture trap/separator. I would use a Maxum valve from Marco and get the fine media sleeve from Axxiom (Schmidt). Get a pressure regulator.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cone is at 45 degrees that's why I would put a pot vib on it. So you wouldn't use the standard set up as a blast pot with the pop valve? Is that piping running all the way down into the pot or just into the top of the pot? I'm assuming you have to use a funnel to fill these?

·
any media master blaster
166 Posts
Soda blast pot

You have two hurtles to overcome in your conversion.One to soda blast for any period of time you must have dry air, this generally requires an aftercooler and moisture trap or some sort of dryer.
Then you must design a metering system that will keep the soda at a constant flow.
I would try a vibrator attached to the bottom of the pot and a cheap lever operated ball valve for starters.
The soda blast pots have a more complex metering system than grit pots due to the compression of the soda and its propensity to cease to flow due to moisture.
Overcome these two problems and you will be in business.

·
2,018 Posts
is that a pipe going through the pot down to the valve? What stops a regular pot from shooting soda efficiently?
The pip goes through the top off the tank, and is adjustable up and down to meter the flow of soda.

as for a regular pot shooting soda, well wess hit that on in the last post. :thumbsup:

·
2,018 Posts
Kiizone
here are some pic's of my soda blaster.

1st pic; Air in, and the screw on top adjust the grit moves the pipe inside up & down.
2nd; The shut off is elec. over air ball valve. normally closed.( has the red thing on it)
3rd; whole tank. notice the slope of the botom.

Attachments

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do you have a metering valve on the bottom if you meter it from the top? Wess, that website is what I have been looking for.

·
any media master blaster
166 Posts
Metering

The air goes in the bottom and pulls the soda along with it through a small break where one pipe overlaps the other (a venturi effect)the larger pipe that the mixture exits the pot from can be moved closer or further away to adjust or stop the flow of soda.
I have the use of one of these pots , good for soda only I am told.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I pondered the thought and have only been asked if I soda blast a few times. I recon if someone wants a car blasted I could have them go and buy 600lbs of walnut to get me started. Might buy a bag and toss in it to see what happens.

·
any media master blaster
166 Posts
Picture MMLJ pot?

I was so intrigued by how the pot I have operated I took it apart to see for myself .The complicated adjustment lever apparatus my pot has is replaced with a simpler version that you see in the photos posted by Dyer.
If anyone is really interested I can take a picture or give more information.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts