Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 100 year-old paneled tool box today.

I wonder how many plastic tool boxes will last that long. This one was probably used for decades. 34" by 17" by 9" and it weighs 15 pounds empty. It has homemade spring clamps just inside the lid, I think for holding a pencil or pencil compass/scribe. And some homemade hooks. I have figured out the ingenious place the box held a framing square.

The lid folds down to reveal a two hand saw till with leather straps to hold the saws in place.

I am going to set this one up in the shop with antique tools and make a copy adapted for site use.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
That is way cool. :thumbsup:

The most impressive part is that the guy who made that could most likely have built an entire house with just what he could carry in that box. These days, most of us have a trailer full of gear and still don't have everything we need most days. They sure don't make carpenters like that anymore.

Oh, and my tool box will be toast in a couple days. I got maybe 5 or 6 years out of a Stanley black plastic tool box. The other day, the top just fell off. In it's defense, I have treated it pretty badly over the years.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
basswood said:
The old carpenter's tool box has a little slot mortise at one corner. Anyone hazard a guess as to the purpose? I think I have figured it out.
Framing square slot?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'm not sure of the age, but this box was my grandfathers. I remember my dad hauling it around in the back of his early 50's pickup. That was early 70's. It's pretty beat up and weathered, but if it isn't 100 years old, it will be before it gets rained on one more time.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Framing square slot?
I think we have a winner!

The box is just 3/8" too small inside for a framing square. Must have been one of those "Doh" moments. It sneaks in with that slot mortise, and once squared up, does not stick out of the box at all.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure of the age, but this box was my grandfathers. I remember my dad hauling it around in the back of his early 50's pickup. That was early 70's. It's pretty beat up and weathered, but if it isn't 100 years old, it will be before it gets rained on one more time.:thumbsup:
Lone, That is a great box to have with your family history. Do you know what the round niche on the left side was for?

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Hundred years from now a remote control for this guy will probably be standard issue...:whistling:laughing:

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
griz said:
Hundred years from now a remote control for this guy will probably be standard issue...:whistling:laughing:
Do you have a tool box like the one Bass pictured?

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Do you have a tool box like the one Bass pictured?
I used to have two.

One older than dirt that I got at a garage sale and one a VERY OLD Carpenter built for me when I was about 19 or 20....and NO that does not make that one older than dirt...:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Lone, That is a great box to have with your family history. Do you know what the round niche on the left side was for?
Best I can tell, it just housed the tip if the handsaw and kept it from rattling around. If you look close, there is a twist lock handle capture too.

Reactions: basswood

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Where do you find these old tools?

Antique stores?

I'm kind of excited for spring for the estate sale season to see if I can find some vintage stuff.

And if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the box?

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where do you find these old tools?

Antique stores?

I'm kind of excited for spring for the estate sale season to see if I can find some vintage stuff.

And if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the box?
I found this one on CL for $65. I think it would go for $100-150 at an antique store? Estate sales and auctions are good ideas too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts