Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go outside today and find a flyer for a painting company stuck to my door. Well not just a painting company, he also does carpet and tile, electrical work, and plumbing, but his company name contains the word painting.
Anyways, I dont usually market in my neighborhood, not enough money in da hood and all that. So I am about to throw the flyer out when I notice it has the BBB torch logo on it. Now I have seen this guy around and he doesnt look like the type to be involved with the BBB, so I go online to see. The guy has been in business less then a year according to their site and already has numerous complaints, he also is not a member of the BBB, so he shouldnt be using their logo. So me being the concerned citizen that I am, give the BBB a call and inform them he is using their logo on his flyers. They tell me could I drop off or mail the flyer to them and that he is not now, nor has ever been a member.
So I guess I will drop off the flyer and get this hack in a little trouble, I doubt they will do too much other then tell him to stop using their logo, but atleast he will have to be honest. I personally am not a member of the BBB, I have been asked to join repeatedly, but I dont think it is worth paying for, most people only call there with complaints and it doesnt matter if you are accredited or not, they will list any complaints they recieve, so for your money all you get is the little torch logo.
Anybody else ever get in trouble for using the BBB logo, or know anybody who did? I am kinda curious as to what they do about it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Likely only 1 in a 100 customers will check to see if someone displaying the BBB logo is actually a member.

This hump probably figures any slap on the wrist he gets from BBB was worth it for the couple jobs he got by using their logo.

·
General Contractor
8,192 Posts
Check with them, all you have to do is call them. They will nail him to a wall, then check with consumer affairs if he is registered, they will hang him after BBB is done with him. :laughing:

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Be interesting to see if he is licensed to do plumbing and electrical; unless of course, Indiana is one state with no requirements. Local jurisdiction may like to know of unlicensed hacks working in their territory. :shifty: Sneaky way to find out is to call him in for an estimate. He did leave a flyer, didn't he? When he shows up, ask for copies of his WC, liab ins, trade licenses, business licenses, etc. I bet you never saw a plumber's crack moving so fast away from you. :laughing:

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have had or will soon have, two auto plants close in our area. How many of those guys will be taking away my jobs because they are cheaper??? No insurance, no licenses, don't pay taxes, etc., etc. Think of how much I could trim my prices if I had none of those things. But I was never a member of BBB, never needed them, rarely get a complaint, which often makes me wonder...................??????????????

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indiana has no license for painters, but plumbers and sparky's do. Apparently he is a master of all trades. I might call him over to my brothers and tell him I need to run new electrical service to the garage, then ask him about permits, license and insurance just to see what he has to say. I have to go over to my brothers monday anyways and let the guys installing his wondows in, so I guess I could do it then. The guy lives on the same street as I do so I am sure he has seen both of my vans out front of my house, he might catch on if I invite him over here. Although even though my vans were parked right out front he did feel that I still needed a flyer from him, maybe he thought my house needed work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my experience, BBB is a waste of time and energy. They accept any fool who shows up with the money for signup, and you have to eat a customer's liver with fava beans for them to throw you out. The complaint process is an infinite series of blathering phone calls that has no teeth behind it, costs the other side nothing, and ends up accomplishing nothing you couldn't accomplish by making the same 100 calls to the other side directly.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
BBB = Trade Mark, so BBB org leases or lends their trade marks (for a fee) to every registered BBB member so they can use, solicit, or advertise, etc.,...their "Well-known-Mark" work services to customers.

That's all, they don't do jack besides their selling/leasing trade marks, there is no secret.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you should really do!

Write an OP-Ed piece for your local weekly & daily newspaper. Give a few tips about how consumers can protect themselves against unscrupulous contractors.

Start the article or letter with the example you just gave. It's perfect.

Don't worry about the writing if you're not comfortable with it (though you must be given the post). Just have someone read through it once before you submit it.

HVACR word guy

·
Banned
658 Posts
i don't know, all the time and effort you are wasting on ratting the guy out,you could be improving your business,getting leads,going to the gym, spending quality time with your kids...I mean,are you a cop,if not,why are you doing their job? are they paying you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.