Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did a open bank remodel a few years ago found just under $150 in cash and coins behind the cash drawer units, basically heavy fire safe base cabinets. We tried to give the found money back to the bank but the manager said and I quote "Make that sh** go away". Evidently a bank finding lost cash is an accounting nightmare. I bought pizza for lunch.

In my own home I once remodeled and sold, built in late 1800's I found a cardboard and wood riffle/shotgun round in the attic. Maybe around .40 cal in diameter and the length was about the size if a .410 shot shell. An old timer told me it was from the 1920's as a practice round. The casing was waxed type cardboard and the bullet seems to be a soft wood. I wasn't into firearms back them so didn't think much of it. Also found a basketball rule book from the early 1900's that I still have that but didn't keep the round, can't remember what I did with it.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,938 Posts
Sorry to get off thread subject here, but what is the point of insulating the bottom of the roof rafters? Is the attic not vented and sealed off from the outside?
It's all part of the extreme measures being imposed by the state of California to increase energy efficiency in homes. I guess they've done research and have decided the cooler an attic is the less that heat transfers to the house which makes sense but like so many things here in Cali TPTB have gone way overboard. I did a cut and paste below, that's from the old code but 2019 code is pretty similar. There's been some valid concerns raised about insulating under the rafters with condensation so it's supposed to be draped with an air gap, sounds like a lot of fun getting that installed.
As to weird things in remodeling just old newspapers, not really weird but interesting to read instead of working....

High Performance Attics
"A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words"

The 2016 Energy Code's Standard Budget offers three options of attic construction that may be used to comply. Options A & B are designed for attics when the HVAC duct is in the attic. Option C is designed for the HVAC duct location to be anywhere but the attic. Below is a description of the attic designs with a picture to help show the description.

Ceiling insulation AND above roof deck insulation
  • Option A:Ducts and air handler may be located in the attic
    • Install attic radiant barrier (Zones 2-15)
    • Install R-38 insulation at ceiling (R-30 in zones 3 & 5-7)
    • Install continuous roof deck insulation (Zones 4 & 8-16)
      • R-6 with air space above insulation/ R-8 with no space

Ceiling insulation AND below roof deck insulation
  • Option B:Ducts and air handler may be located in the attic
    • Install attic radiant barrier (Zones 2,3 & 5-7)
    • R-38 insulation at ceiling (R-30 in Zones 3 & 5-7)
    • Install below roof deck insulation (at rafter) (Zones 4 & 8-16)
      • R-13 with air space above insulation/ R-18 with no space

Ducts and air handler in conditioned space
  • Option C:Ducts and air handler must be located in conditioned space
    • Install attic radiant barrier (Zones 2-15)
    • Install R-38 insulation at ceiling (R-30 in Zones 3 & 5-7)
Basic Design: 3 Options

The focus of the 2016 Energy Code is to begin to think about alternative HVAC ducting locations. The picture below offers some suggestions to consider. Each of the options would also then combine with Option C, Attic construction.

Basic Design: 3 Options

Information taken from Energy Code Ace's Title 24 Part 6, Fact Sheet entitled, "What's New for 2016 Residential Energy Code" and a PDF handout called Decoding Attics and Walls: Let's Talk 2016 High Performance Requirements.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,385 Posts
Before I dug that wine cellar I have posted about in the 18th century commercial building, I had to demo the flooring in the basement. It was 2" planks on 2x6 rafters covering an empty pit roughly 12' x 16' x 4' deep. There is a stone retaining wall next to the building's footing that the flooring system beared on. Anyhoo, I found a whole mess of receipt books from the 1930s, about a dozen and a half, each on for a certain month. And that iron tool. Not sure what it is. I'm gonna go grab it right now from my tool chest, take a photo, try to guess what it is, and come right back and report. This is real time, folks.
Wood Brick Concrete Metal Brickwork

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
That is a handle for a pot, one handle for several pots. When on the stove the handles would get in the way if all burners were used.

I once replaced a drop ceiling in a real estate office in the 90s, lots of stuff above the ceilings there. Drugs, sex toys, birth control diaphragms, booze. I put everything in a pile in an office, no one working there was shocked at all.

Found an empty case of beer cans under a bathtub in a tract house, which explained the crappy work they did

·
Registered
3 Posts
16 gauge Iver Johnson, an ancient stained knife ( PD took it when the came ) but they said they would hold it only. Found a "prophylactic " package under it. 1950's maybe. Gave it to the owner. Kept the 16 and a bunch of piano clamps I found downstairs.

·
Design Build
9,711 Posts
Paper bags full of cash.

The H/O was a wealthy lawyer. There were several bags of cash.....he liked cash. One bag had $15K. The boss called an early lunch break and walked the H/O through the home to have him gather up all his cash, before we went back to work. Crazy times.

·
Registered
14,090 Posts
Cant just leave that, like that. 😳
It was a tax sale purchase by my accountant at the time, after removing 20ish 30 yard dumpsters of crap found remains in the basement. Called the sheriff and home owner, sheriff called the coroner. Their assumption was a homeless person sucum to the elements.

The house was empty for a few years before the tax sale purchase.

Tom

·
Pro
194 Posts
Helping my sister and brother in law put plywood down in their attic floor to make it usable storage speace, maybe 20 years ago, I found an old glass mason's jar with a paper top, tied on, filled with pennies. Some dating back to the early 1900's. As a youngster I wanted to tear it open, but my sister kept in intact and left it with the house as memorabilia.

My parents house was built in 1929. They purchased it in approx 1978. The single owner that was there prior was a miser and stashed money and gold all over the house. She died, had no heirs, and the state took over the property and found shoe boxes of cash, gold coins, etc all over the house. When my parents bought it, my father would always think under the next cabinet or baseboard was going to be his jackpot. To no avail.

Until around 1996, he was in what was my old bedroom closet, he was removing the old oak baseboard and refinishing it. Behind the baseboard was a secret compartment cut into the lath and plaster wall. Inside the fabricated compartment was a small baggie of marijuana and a clay made pipe from ceramics class. After me pleading ignorance to the fact, and letting my brother who was 9 years older, take the heat, I was forced to confess...

I was away at college......what were they going to do, ground me?? Besides I left a baggie behind....I obviously didn't like it too much...

·
Registered
General Contractor
65 Posts
Found this guy underneath a squeaky subfloor.
Wood Organism Scaled reptile Toad Terrestrial animal

See if you can guess why the floor was creaky...
Wood Composite material Flooring Soil Building material

Wood Religious item Art Wood stain Hardwood

No vapor barrier, just batts sitting on dirt/mud. House is situated in a gully, so plenty of moisture down there. Many of the floor joists were sitting on dirt.

·
Registered
Remodeling and Renovations
46 Posts
👆 Wow! That outta be a good before and after

·
Pro
194 Posts
21 - 40 of 60 Posts