Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fastening system was Headcote 2 1/4" brown trim head screws.

The deck that we replaced was 2x6 redwood over 3/4" redwood sleepers. The sleepers and some of the deck were rotted out. At least one water leak from nails penetrating the roof.

We replaced the deck with 4/4 ipe, over 2x4 PT D.F. sleepers. We torched on another layer to the roof, on a day that was around 105 degrees. I cut the sleepers and layed them on the roof and the next day, they couldn't be moved.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I like that deck. The different shades of stain add a lot of character.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,332 Posts
Nice work as always Mark.

Looks like the decking is not screwed off all the way & you got Chris to thinking you used HFS on that ipe deck.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The decking is screwed off, all of the way. The brown trimheads are hard to see, if at all.

One of my guys did the sealing. He uses either ATO or Penofin. He actually hand applies all of his sealers, whether it's 1500 sq. ft. of 100 sq. ft.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Great looking deck, clean and tight!
I like the look of the stain/sealer. I tell my clients if you want your deck to have a consistent look go with one of the upline composite products otherwise you will have color and grain variations.

Bubba-mac

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
very nice work, very clean, hope you dont mind that i saved the pic to file in my ref photo folder

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone want hazard a guess on material costs for 2 of these doors? They are approx. 8' wide x 7' high. All redwood. Frame is 3x6, inlay is 1x6 T&G. Window openings are 3x3's with redwood 1/4 round.

After that, guess what the hardware cost. 18' of double track, rollers, 4 recessed handles, lock and floor guide.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone want hazard a guess on material costs for 2 of these doors? They are approx. 8' wide x 7' high. All redwood. Frame is 3x6, inlay is 1x6 T&G. Window openings are 3x3's with redwood 1/4 round.

A grand?

VERY nice work.

I think i'd make everyone take their shoes off before stepping on that deck. :laughing:

...and I wouldn't allow them to hold anything in their hands (IE: beer bottle) that could potentially fall and dent/scratch that gorgeous decking.

:no:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts