Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tool bags, belts, whatever you call them. What do you wear?

I'm a finish carpenter trying to find a worthwhile set of bags. A friend of mine has a set of Diamond Back bags, but they have recently gone out of business. I just bought a set of Occidental bags, but they are more like boxes with cloth wrapped around them. The pockets are way too big, and there isnt nearly enough dividers. The CLC bags ala home depot are also way too small.

I dont carry a lot of nails, we use nailguns for 95% of all out work. Occasionally (sidework) I frame houses and finish basements, so the cabability to hold hand drive nails would be nice.

Any recommendations? I dont mind paying for good stuff. If anyone has a diamond back set I will buy them off you. Email me...

Thanks.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I've also looked at these leather things that you guys all seem to carry around and I know they would be pulling my pants off all day. I'm sure they have their uses but I am stuck on my old apron style. All I want is a simple drill holster soft and not to obtrusive. I'll keep using the apron for screws and nails, and my tape unless I see something better than these monster 5 lb. contraptions. My guys tell me my apron is old fashion. But hey I'm no kid and fashion is something I was never real good at anyway ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Ya know, over the years I've never looked at name brand, focused mainly on function of the belt/pouch. I dont have a need for 20 different compartments but like the "little" ones for pencils, nail sets, trim nail sets, square holder, etc...8 yrs ago I gave up my trusty worn/broke in leather pouched unit for the new canvas type that was kinda stiff walled so it held it's shaped, but would give when you bumped into something. 8 yrs later it's still holding up and I'm very happy with it. One little trick I gave into from working with my grandfather in my younger years-I finally bought a set of pouch suspenders!! Laugh your ass off all you want, these things work and they help. If I wanted to look cool like all these young kids, I'd ditch the suspenders, wear the tool belt around my waist only and let my plumber crack shine for all to see....did you know when you stick a carpenter pencil down a co-workers plumber crack the shear strength from ass cheek compression/tweak will break it??!!! Little trivia for those that did'nt know-ya learn something everyday :Thumbs:

No matter what the belt, suspenders are the shizzle!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
When I was framing I used occidentals - give them some time to wear in - they end up being pretty comfortable. For light work (trim, siding, etc) my wife got me a set of Skillers from Duluth Trading. They are very comfortable, light, and have a ton of pockets, dividers, and the bags can be changed out to whatever you want.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
IHI said:
No matter what the belt, suspenders are the shizzle!
When I use suspenders they break in a couple months. As for bags I like the MTM's. It took five years for them to fall apart. And they really aren't bad one bag has a hole in it. The hammer holder fell apart and started putting the hammer in the rear bag. Thought I would get a new set Boulder Bags POS fell apart slowly in less than two years.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Better specify on the suspender deal, DO NOT get the kind that are stretchy!!! You will regret it if you've tried them already (been there dont that), the damn pouch will be doing the big boobied bounce as you walk and it will chaff you in no time flat during the summer months. The suspenders need to be solid-no stretchy anywhere!!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Never used the stretchy ones. I have used the nicholas and clps.The have never held up. I do like them when they're fresh. What brand do you use?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody have some links to the bags you're all talking about? (Especially the "Skillers"?) I looked on Duluth's website and I cant find them. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
JustaFramer said:
Never used the stretchy ones. I have used the nicholas and clps.The have never held up. I do like them when they're fresh. What brand do you use?
I think the ones on their now are McGuier or McGregor-Nicholes (sp?) I've been able to get about 2 yrs out of these so far, typically mine have lasted on average of 3 year/set and only place they break is where the webbing wraps around the clip that fastens to the belt, that thin peice of metal they use. It seems to fatigue after a few years.

I guess I need to start paying attention to what I wear, never knew anybody paid attention to name brands on pouches and related items LOL! Just like shopping for clothes I find what Ilike and buy it, old enough now I guess brand dont mean squat....except for the parts on my race car, then i can tell you EVERYTHING about that!! priorities i guess ;)

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure of the name brand on the latest belt I bought. One thing I like about it is that the two main pockets are really large. I hate going back to the carton to get more screws and they fit nail strips really well too. Also, I like that mine uses a traditional type leather belt instead of clips. I just bought it last fall so I can't speak to it's durability yet. I'll check the brand name and get back to you PPro.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Dude! Ya gotta wear da name proud and loud! It's all about da tag! I got me a Gucci bag with rhinestones and a cell phone pouch so's I can keep in touch wif da ladies. I wear it wif suspenders, but you gotta have them hang off your shoulders, hanging down the back so everybody knows you are hip.

I wear my tool belt backwards jus like my hat so's everybody knows I'm cool!

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike, ROTFLMFAO!!!

By the way PPro, just checked my new tool belt. The brand name is Task.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mine says "Property of Bruce Wayne" inside.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts