Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cargo vans has a textured paint or sealer product on about the bottom 6-8 inches.. I believe this is to help prevent rusting.. I am wondering if anyone happens to know what is used for this? As I would like to do it to my other vans that are starting to rust on the bottom.. I know the rust will eventually eat right back through it once it has started, but I am just looking for a temporary fix to make my vans look a little more presentable..

·
1,745 Posts
I use a product called "Chassis Saver". I get it at my local automotive paint store.

Paint it on with a brush or thin it and spray it. Paint it right over the rust. Knock off the loose pieces, paint it and it bonds to the rust and makes it stronger as it cures.

Needs to be painted over as it's not UV friendly. Doesn't lose it rust inhibitor, just fades from black to gray.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a product called "Chassis Saver". I get it at my local automotive paint store.

Paint it on with a brush or thin it and spray it. Paint it right over the rust. Knock off the loose pieces, paint it and it bonds to the rust and makes it stronger as it cures.

Needs to be painted over as it's not UV friendly. Doesn't lose it rust inhibitor, just fades from black to gray.
Thanks a lot.. I'll check that out..

·
Registered
261 Posts
my local body guy sprays a light coat of undercoating on the rockers before painting. He's painted two trucks for me like this

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
One of my cargo vans has a textured paint or sealer product on about the bottom 6-8 inches.. I believe this is to help prevent rusting.. I am wondering if anyone happens to know what is used for this? As I would like to do it to my other vans that are starting to rust on the bottom.. I know the rust will eventually eat right back through it once it has started, but I am just looking for a temporary fix to make my vans look a little more presentable..
It is chip guard. As the name implies, it is there to minimize chipping from items thrown into the paint. It is a harder product than paint. It is sprayed over the paint, not under.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ts-chip-guard/paint-type/rocker-panel-coating

Tom

·
Registered
Remodel
31,664 Posts
Easiest way I saved a rear quarter panel from rusting out was by coating the inside with transmission fluid. Busted the fluid container off roading, and never could clean it up all the way.

Outside coat for rust / chip protection, inside coat for rust. Fluid Film is working so far, but nobody wants to do body work with that stuff on it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts