Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for wiping oil stain or cleaning brushes & lambs wool applicators with mineral spirits/paint thinner?

We have used green disposable vinyl gloves for a long time. Last few bulk boxes I bought seemed to be made cheaper & cheaper. Ripping & leaking very easily & having to double & triple up.

We did a nice size pickle stain (rag & feather up wipe) the other day and my guys hands were all white by the time they got off their knees.

If I remember right nitrile glove wont really hold up to paint thinner or oil based products? But its been so long since I tried anything else Im not really sure.

Years ago we had big thick old elbow length gloves to clean up with but they used to get so much hardened oil poly on them the fingers wouldn't move after a while.

...waterbase is waaaay easier to deal with but people want what they want sometimes.

Just looking for alternatives.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For grouting we use to use Debarry, they held up longest, get extra large. Don't be fooled by lookalike bastards trying to copy debarry.
In military we wore gloves for chemical attack drills and I remember putting on a cotton glove( thin) to absorb sweat.
I hardly ever wear gloves anymore. They are a nuisance and in Florida sweat /end up stinking and not drying inside. I would try an alternative, maybe a piece of visqueen in between your hand and rag, not exactly sure how you work with the rags but some adjusting or creativity may void the gloves.
Ripping up sharp tile I use a margin trowel to move tile out of the way, they can rip up heavy duty gloves in a day or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts