Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
President
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fill an area, 50x70 raised 3' then put a 6" concrete floor measuring 40x60 on top of it. Must be atleast 3' per town code.

Crushed stone... What type of crushed stone, and how much will I need? Yards + tonnage

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I always used 3/4" Gray, crushed stone. I've seen it called a bunch of different names.

And there's tons of calculators on the web to give you the "how much".

Also, I assume you're having it delivered, they'll tell you how much you need too.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Do you need to raise it 3' first? Or it is already raised?

If so, can't you raise it with compared backfill?

·
President
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It needs to be raised 3' above surrounding grade. Pesky flood plain stuff :whistling

I thought about clay, and other things such as hard fill, but that can get ugly... So I figured 3' of stone would also make my 6" pad stronger...

I know there's calculators online, but, I don't know whack stone size I should go with...

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Are you going to have a compaction test?

We use rock called 3/4- out here. Lots of fines.

Pretty easy to hit 95%.

400 yards +/-

Tonnage can vary depends how wet it is.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I would find out what's local. Around here granite gravel seems to be the fill of choice, when I was 200 miles north I had never seen it except for landscaping pathways.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just shy of 400 cy like griz said. I get just under 800 ton of crushed stone, road base what ever you call it in your area. Stone could get pretty expensive just to run fill.

Find a close dirt job and see if they are heavy. They might load it and haul if you just pay the trucking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts