Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been asked a million times, because i've looked at all of the posts about this. I found one replay where a fella listed all the tools needed for a helper then an apprentice then like an apprentice 2 then a lead than a master carpenter. I printed the replay out but lost it. I guess i want to know what all you have in the way of everyday tools and how often you use them. I'm trying to get my chit together and have all the tools i will need to any and all jobs that may come up.

Adam

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Get your basics then on the way to the job at hand pick up new tools you will "need". That is usually how it goes. You know a job is coming up where you could use a certain tool and you buy it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any and all jobs? Better have a cube truck at least! I do way too much to always have everything all the time

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the basics i guess i'm looking for the "what else" kinda stuff. I wish I could find the post were all the stuff was listed. I want to be fully functional by spring/summer last year was rough not having the stuff i needed and working general stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i should not post the whole "do all" thing but i want to be able to adapt to what comes my way. Okay so ill ask this what should i have at each level of carpentry?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLS i might have to take you up on the trailer LOL! I see you're in Auburn i may look you up in the future i'm in Rochester. I just want a list of what everyone has, I love tools so the more the better.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I guess i should not post the whole "do all" thing but i want to be able to adapt to what comes my way. Okay so ill ask this what should i have at each level of carpentry?
One thing I've figured out is that it isn't really neccessary to have the tools to do every job but rather knowing how to make the tools you have do a variety of things. It is possible to do most tasks in a variety of ways. Only buy those tools that either do something no other tool you own will accomplish or that significantly improve the speed/quality of tasks you do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dustincoc said:
One thing I've figured out is that it isn't really neccessary to have the tools to do every job but rather knowing how to make the tools you have do a variety of things. It is possible to do most tasks in a variety of ways. Only buy those tools that either do something no other tool you own will accomplish or that significantly improve the speed/quality of tasks you do on a regular basis.
Very well said. I started up my business three years ago and I am still adding tools. I have made do many times with just the basics and it has saved me money when I couldn't afford to go buy a new tool for one job. Now i try to figure in the price of a new tool every couple jobs so that I'm not dropping loads of money at a time or buying tools that ill use once and leave buried in shop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I WANT all the tools that do the job. I think i may be an addict. I seem to have the symptoms. I wish there is a meeting near me. I think that i'm getting the shakes and cold sweats.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So before this gets to off topic which i have enjoyed i am still wondering where i can find that post or if someone can give me the info i seek

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dustin that is the exact one i wanted, see us New Yorkers need to stay together. I owe you one, and I hope to pay it back real soon. JLS i may need some sponsoring after this weekend i think it may be a pricey one

1 - 20 of 98 Posts