Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a bit of ryobi gear of late and given it quite a bit of use around the house.

I have my makita and bosch stuff for work, but i find having a set of tools already in the house saves me running back and forward between the car when im doing stuff at home, i have all my cordless gear ready to go in the shed.

So i've settled on some ryobi stuff for home jobs around the place, ive found the ryobi stuff quite good when you compare the price you pay for it against say the makita stuff.

Do any of you guys use much ryobi stuff, or would you be too ashamed to admit using ryobi gear HA.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I see nothing wrong with having something cheap kicking around the house. Beats going out to the truck to get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see nothing wrong with having something cheap kicking around the house. Beats going out to the truck to get it.
and if it gets knocked off its not the end of the world.

I think ryobi should have stuck with the dark blue, doesnt look so much like a kids toy then !

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I use the same stuff. My truck and trailer are in the driveway.

It's just my personal preference, but I've never bought a cheap tool. I just can't do it. It aggravates the chit out of my when I use one. Have it be a hand tool or an electric tool, whatever. I can't afford Festool, or tools of that quality, but the standard DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc., is what I use at home and work. Screwdrivers/pliers are Klein. Some bigger screwdrivers are Craftsmen. Levels are Stabila and Johnson. I have some Channellock stuff. Tapes are all Stanley.

The cheapest stuff I have is my sharpening stone and guide. I just have a cheap guide by General and a Norton combination oil stone. Surprisingly, they work great for my needs so I never had a reason to upgrade to the more expensive diamonds.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,698 Posts
My shops just down the hill from the house & that's where my trailer sets when its not on the job. I use the same tools I make my living with.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I'm doubling up my tools for shop use. It gets to be a real hassle when I have a shop project going on and have to load/unload all the time. Or end up missing a tool at a job.

I do some light custom cabinetry so having a shop set up and ready to go is a big plus for efficiency.

I use pretty much the same caliber of tools in the shop. Maybe a little less. Ex: For shop, I have Dewalt 20v compact drills vs the brushless with 4.0's I carry in the van.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I keep all the same tools at home and truck. Dewalt 18v. Everywhere you look around my house you'll see a drill and spare battery with charger nearby.

Murphy's Law. If you leave an item on the job you will also need it somewhere else.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Same for me, trailer is in driveway most of the time. Have a small tool box in the house that was my wifes but other than that I just walk out to trailer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just get my tools from my truck my third car garage is where i keep most of my tools so every thing is generally handy I usually dont go cheap with my tools . makita , dewalt and Milwaukee sawzalls is what i prefer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm doubling up my tools for shop use. It gets to be a real hassle when I have a shop project going on and have to load/unload all the time. Or end up missing a tool at a job.

I do some light custom cabinetry so having a shop set up and ready to go is a big plus for efficiency.

I use pretty much the same caliber of tools in the shop. Maybe a little less. Ex: For shop, I have Dewalt 20v compact drills vs the brushless with 4.0's I carry in the van.
i like your logo :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes im contemplating getting a 2nd set of makita stuff for the house. But i honestly dont mind the ryobi stuff, its pretty solid and you can get every tool without having to switch a different battery charger setup. It is slower etc but you can get the job done with it.

·
Registered
Carpentry
215 Posts
Ryobi isn't that bad. It's far better than Black & Decker and Tool Shop. It's perfectly fine for home owner use. But I must say I have regretted every cheap tool I have ever purchased.

·
Registered
172 Posts
NDW said:
Ryobi isn't that bad. It's far better than Black & Decker and Tool Shop. It's perfectly fine for home owner use. But I must say I have regretted every cheap tool I have ever purchased.
buy cheap , buy often right ?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
My trailer stays on the jobsite most of the time do I've got stuff for the house, mostly retired makita cordless. I keep most of my festool at my house. I run less projects and guys than I used to do I've got leftovers from when I was bigger.
I am adding tools with the justification that I will need them someday to outfit guys when I get bigger...for now it is so convenient having multiples of tools.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I am adding tools with the justification that I will need them someday to outfit guys when I get bigger...for now it is so convenient having multiples of tools.
Yeah, I can't even count how many drills and impacts I have. I sold off a bunch that were worn, tossed some that were broken and I've still got well over a dozen.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I use the same tools. If I plan on doing something on the weekend I just bring the trailer home. I do have a small tool collection that stays home with screw driver and stuff

1 - 20 of 88 Posts