Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just removed my microwave oven combo unit from my kitchen cabinet. The new unit requires me to trim it a 1/2" wider. I would be going with the grain.....what saw should i use ? I dont want to splinter it or goof it up!
I thinks its made of oak....

Skill saw pretty big and bulky for a tight spot, jig saw...will it splinter?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Can you clamp a straight edge and use a trim router? A small trim saw might work. Use blue tape on the cut to minimize splintering. I think a router would be my first choice. Finish up the cut with a Japanese hand saw.

I really don't recommend using a jig saw, as it's too easy to go off course. I guess you could run one off a straight-edge, as well. Just not sure how well a flexible blade will follow the intended line. Splintering is also more of a problem, but some blades are actually pretty impressive.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Can you get the cabinet off the wall so making the cut isn't so awkward?

Your options/success will significantly increase if you are just dealing with a box....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i decided to go the jig saw route using tape as my guide, i had a 18v dewalt jigsaw and it worked just fine! Thanks

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
i decided to go the jig saw route using tape as my guide, i had a 18v dewalt jigsaw and it worked just fine! Thanks
Must of been some really thick tape :laughing:

So did you cut the 1/2" off just one side?
Or 1/4" off both sides?

I've had great luck with clean cuts on my jig saw with bosch blades.
Glad u got it done.

I think I would have grabbed my trim router and cut a Quarter off each side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You already know i wanted to take a 1/2" off just one side but i just couldnt make myslef do it...i did 1/4" on both.....the blades were bosch wood that by some miracle i had......made a big mess in the drawer below where my wife keeps her dishrags and pot holders but other than that all went well.....thank sgain

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,400 Posts
Can you clamp a straight edge and use a trim router? A small trim saw might work. Use blue tape on the cut to minimize splintering. I think a router would be my first choice. Finish up the cut with a Japanese hand saw.

I really don't recommend using a jig saw, as it's too easy to go off course. I guess you could run one off a straight-edge, as well. Just not sure how well a flexible blade will follow the intended line. Splintering is also more of a problem, but some blades are actually pretty impressive.
I would use a 23 guage pinner & pin a straight edge to the face frame on the 1/2 line. Router with a pattern bit (bearing on top) would clean it up niecely. The pins will break off invisible with a little wiggling, if they stay in the faceframe. Clean up the corners with a multitool or sharp chisel.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I would use a 23 guage pinner & pin a straight edge to the face frame on the 1/2 line. Router with a pattern bit (bearing on top) would clean it up niecely. The pins will break off invisible with a little wiggling, if they stay in the faceframe. Clean up the corners with a multitool or sharp chisel.
pin nail a straight edge in there and use the fein. i've had to do that before and it's worked just fein. :laughing:
router is even better, though, less sanding afterwards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts