Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely out of my field here and will get a HVAC guy to do the work but wanted some ideas before I get to that point. This is for our home not a job.
We have a completely finished basement that my wife works out of. Although I have several registers and returns in the basement, the furnace just doesn't get the basement warm enough. A few years ago we bought a coal stove (the direct vent, self feeding type) that really does the job well. But I am getting to dread driving 30 miles to get coal :( . I want to make this the last season and move to a gas unit. A wall unit, would be nice. Something that doesn't take up allot of space. The basement is 1000sf. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a fireplace for that. I don't want to feed downstairs anymore. Light it a forget it.

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
have you considered a larger whole house furnace with add on duct system to supply the basement? or a baseboard loop off of your hot water heater? a gas fired fire place is a nice idea but what is the basement layout. can that heat convect all over.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, I once rigged up a heater that ran on used motor oil, got the oil for free.
I'm guessing that it would not be very popular today although I'm suprised that coal is still allowed.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used motor oil? I have heard of that before. Seems like it might be dirtier than the coal. The coal stove is not like the old styles. It is more like a pellet stove but uses coal. Pretty efficient. Just a PITA.

Nicktech, my old shop was heated with a HWH run through the baseboards as you mentioned. It worked pretty good. 1200sf and it kept the chill off. My basement would not pipe well. It is completely finished partititoned into several rooms. You have a good point about convection. Also I have several registers in the basement now. Maybe the furnace is just not big enough for it. I will have to get someone here to have a look at the situation.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, that furnace was Rube Goldberg at his best. Worked really well after a few mods. I would like to believe that I managed to get the pollution level down to moderate.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Teetor,
This might explain allot. Use oil fumes have been known to cause irrational behavior. I am beginning to understand. Kind of like the spray finishing I use to do in my shop. Fogged in all day, and fogged up all night.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, It wasn't until the mid 80's when I discovered all of the materials that I had been exposed to. Asbestos, lead, Tolulenes, Styrenes, Bensines and a host of others. That's just from the construction trade. Add to that general city pollution + what I chose to do to myself and there is small wonder that I have a few dead brain cells.
Recent studies have shown that synapsys reconstruct and can bypass damaged portions of the brain. Since we only use 10% for cognative purposes, I must assume that there is plenty of matter left to fall back on. My rough assesment is that I still have about 50% left. LOL

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the 70s what a time. We are a couple of the lucky ones. I know a few that didn't make it through the Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll. It was a great time. If I had to do it over I would do the same. There is nothing like the old Hendrix saying "are you experanced". Learned things back then that it would be impossible to see any other way. I think you will understand.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, my fine times started in the 50's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts