Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run construction jobs all the time but usually new construction, so I am not sure what to expect on an electrical inspection when the walls are not open. I am planning on rerunning the entire house myself under homeowner permit, so I am curious what the inspector will look at? I don't need to open any walls b/c it is ballon framed without fire blocking, so there will not be much to look at.
Thanks

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I run construction jobs all the time but usually new construction, so I am not sure what to expect on an electrical inspection when the walls are not open. I am planning on rerunning the entire house myself under homeowner permit, so I am curious what the inspector will look at? I don't need to open any walls b/c it is ballon framed without fire blocking, so there will not be much to look at.
Thanks
How are you going to anchor the wire?

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
One thing is you may NOT want to open any more of the walls than is necessary. The possibility exists that you could get the HO involved in code capture. I have never been involved with a whole-house re-wire without breaking the walls so I would suspect it will come down to how the inspector feels that day. Old work boxes are perfectly fine for remodel work, make sure exposed wire is anchored properly, and have j-boxes with the covers nearby. Biggest issue will be grounding and the service panel, same as in any other construction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, this is my house- not doing anything shady. I just bought the house(1879 farmhouse) and was not planning on redoing the wiring but I am moving the location of the stairs and during which I found some knob and tube wiring and taped exposed splices in the ceiling. My thought is that if it was done here- who knows what else was done- so replace everything even though it is not in the budget.
As far as anchoring the wire- that is part of my question. I have been told before the same thing that Phil said, but just want to double check.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
What to expect from a 'remodel' inspection depends on what standards your AHJ has adopted.

Obviously, anything you do must be up to current NEC levels, but how much must be done depends on what the AHJ has deemed necessary. Some want the dedicated small appliance and bath circuits. Others just want receps grounded. Some require AFCIs installed to 210.12 and TRRs from 406.11.

It's best to avoid any problems and invite the inspector over before you start work. This will make both your jobs 110% easier.

Reactions: Hatter

·
ampman
783 Posts
you would be better off to hire a pro it will be cheaper in the long run

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
you would be better off to hire a pro it will be cheaper in the long run

NO NO NO. Long runs aren't cheaper. We must upsize our wire, that's more expensive. It's more expensive in long runs.

I think I need another beer.

Reactions: ampman

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Standard stuff, keep wires 6' away from attic access, or protect them. Make sure kitchen has required circuits, can lights IC rated., ground all switches, recepts and staple any exposed wires, in attic also. exterior outlets and outside lights must be on a photocell type deal. Title 24 kitchen lighting, hallway lights dimmer.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
I was watching the baby sorta in a rush.

When I used to do code updates, you needed front and back outlets.
Outside lights to be photocell type, kitchen lights title 24( which is basically flourescent), and hallway lights on a dimmer.

Basically what i said.

According to............?

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I was watching the baby sorta in a rush.

When I used to do code updates, you needed front and back outlets.
Outside lights to be photocell type, kitchen lights title 24( which is basically flourescent), and hallway lights on a dimmer.

Basically what i said.

what?????????

1 - 20 of 58 Posts