Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a roof today and the homeowners wanted to have the chimney worked with as well while we are at it. We have decided to wrap the chimney in vinyl board and batten siding. The only work I can tell the chimney needs is a new cap but I figured id ask you guys. They know a mason and are goi g to ask him his suggestions as well.

I plan on I plan on furring it out and adding the siding once the cap work and roof is done

Home Property House Cottage Real estate

Technology Hand

Wall Brick Brickwork Rock Monument

Property Roof Wall Home House

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,893 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I agree, I would definitely first consider removing the paint and repairing the existing masonry. Definitely needs work but, based on the pictures, it looks salvageable. Understand people are on a budget but wrapping masonry chimneys in plastic siding is sinful.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Painted, they are always painted.

I wish someone would put out a PSA telling people not to paint their masonry.

I just did half a house worth of new parge coat, the paint destroyed the original stuff and I told them that, the first question they asked me when I finished was how soon they could paint it.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
For about 4 gs they could knock it to the first roof and rebuild it with a nice new brick. Why mess around with nonsense.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I don't know the codes where you live but here you can't strip a chimney. Combustibles have to be at least an inch away from the chimney.

Like the others have said, if you cant take it down part of the way and replace it...you need to get the paint off and start from there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It's has a long crack, popping bricks and it looks like the lead is shot too. A repair isn't going to be a ton cheaper then replacing to the roof.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
yeah wrap plastic around an open wound too, let it fester from the inside out. Best part is they'll never be able to tell that the chimney is about to fail until it's laying on their car or worse a baby carriage.

I'm with JBM, tear it down and rebuild with new brick. Where there are 2 spalled bricks there are 2 or 3 dozen about to spall in the next couple years. With that crack you can bet on more than that

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am very glad I told them to call a mason.

Hopefully he agrees with you guys. We will see what the verdict is. I will tell them what I have heard from you guys too and we will move forward from there. Thank you all for the insight.
I will also check with the city to see if siding is even an option when the necessary repairs are made. She is a retired home designer and doesnt like the brick and is sick of looking at it after 35 years. And he has worked at the local lumberyard for proba ly 30+ years and doesnt like the brick or want to ever have to worry about it again. We will see what happens.

I have to be able to perhaps use steel studs as furring strips and sheet with fire rated cdx or even make my strips from the cdx. But honestly I'd rather it just gets repaired and counterflashed.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Painted, they are always painted.

I wish someone would put out a PSA telling people not to paint their masonry.

I just did half a house worth of new parge coat, the paint destroyed the original stuff and I told them that, the first question they asked me when I finished was how soon they could paint it.
Why?
My neighbor painted his brick house recently and we had a brief discussion about it. I told him not to paint it that I thought the bricks needed to breathe and painting would trap moisture. He felt differently and I couldn't find anything to support my thoughts.

Why not paint brick or masonry in general?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Why?
My neighbor painted his brick house recently and we had a brief discussion about it. I told him not to paint it that I thought the bricks needed to breathe and painting would trap moisture. He felt differently and I couldn't find anything to support my thoughts.

In general masonry is a sponge, water gets in and then it gets back out. Add a membrane to it and eventually water will get in, but it won't get back out so easy.

Couple that with an area where it freezes each winter and now you have your sponge saturated and a freeze thaw cycle happening and bad things are going to happen.

I have done enough repairs to know that when masonry is painted the damage is almost always worse. It might be because of what I said above, or it might be because the paint just hid the damage for longer and allowed it to get worse, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I just assume it's a duck.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Why?

You advised someone against painting the brick, but you're not sure why?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
You advised someone against painting the brick, but you're not sure why?
I listed my reasons why.
I wrote that I couldn't find facts to substantiate my claims. I wasn't painting it, so I wasn't running to the library or anything. I did a search on the net and couldn't find anything.

But, I thought I remembered reading that it's not a good idea to paint brick. When I couldn't find anything, I just thought I was wrong. I've been wrong many times, I'm not ashamed to admit that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts