Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been figuring out this photo thing and thought that some of you might like to know what I do in my spare moments.
This is an authentic 1/2 scale reproduction of a British brig circa. 1680. It was a hobby for many years and mostly fabricated at home. The hull was completed at William H. Albury's yard in Man-O -War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.
She sports 5 miles of standing rigging and 7-1/2 miles of running rigging and 8 six # blackpowder guns.
Check her out here.
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?collid=15151405107&UV=216358245554_47210405107

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
How many hands does it take to man her?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old guys had it down pretty well. She can actually be sailed in good weather by only about 6 people. In heavy weather you need about 10 people on deck although I have learned to get by on less.
All of the sails can work independently or as an entire mast structure which can give you a lot of versitility. You can actually sail these things sideways and they have quite a bit of reverse function as well but you can't backwind them too much as most of the rigging is dedicated to forward motion.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had as many as 18 on board for weekend cruises but it was a little cramped. 6-10 is better.

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Teetor
Nice canoe. I bet with all those guns, the power boaters give you enough sea room! If you could sail it into Great South Bay off Long Island I could find you plenty of targets.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
perfect place to hold the 1st annual Contract Talk convention
Count me in as a deck hand. All I need is a couple days notice to get my gear together and buy a plane ticket. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I buy mine cheap from a guy who has way more than he knows what to do with.
:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts