Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I am working on getting a actual shop right now. Now my question is on planers and jointers. What to get. I am not looking to spend 1500 plus at this time. Who's I could but just not there right now.. However I am in need of both. I had a great set up with a guy I knew however he just moved out of state. Now that main thing I use both for is shelving, the many 2 sets of stairs a year. And counter tops. I have 3 remodel jobs lined up where I will taking the old studs (all 90 plus years old) and making butcher block counter top. I can't tell you how excited I am. Been way to long. Now 3 in a row.

I have been doing some checking and it looks like the dewalt 735 might flip the bill. But I just don't now if it can take that much abuse . What are y'all's option.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The DW735 is a pretty good machine, and what I have, but I would be checking Craigslist for a used old cast iron stationary unit. The DW735 is a good portable unit, but for about the same amount of money and a little elbow grease, you can get an exceptional machine that's made in the USA and will outlast you.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I suppose I've run a few miles of wood through my Dewalt 735.

Pros:
  • It keeps on running
  • The blades are easy to replace. When you need a sharp blade, you just replace them.
  • It can be taken to the job site
  • Snipe is very manageable with in-feed and out-feed surfacs or rollers
  • You can purchase a carbide helical insert cutter replacement for it. I haven't, but probably would if I were using it very much these days.
  • You can run decently-sized lumber through it - I've run a lot of 16/4's cherry up to 12" wide.

Cons:
  • It's a thickness planer, not a jointer - your stock really needs to be flat on one side, or you'll get an evenly thick piece of wavy stock.
  • You'll find yourself replacing the blades a lot. You'll become very aware of the per-linear-foot cost. You can't sharpen the blades
  • Sometimes it would be nice to have a heavier machine. You have to have infeed and outfeed managed very well on bigger stock, else it will grind to a stop, with limited HP.
  • It is the noisiest machine in the shop. My big jointer just spins away, and makes some noise when the cutters are on the wood. The 735 makes an ungodly howling noise - ear protection is absolutely necessary, and your neighbors will be aware that you're running the machine.
  • You can't run super-wide stock - it's only 13" (or is it 14?) I can't remember. You can run the two halves of a breadboard through, but not the whole thing.

All in all, it's been a great tool. Along with the other tools in the shop, it's helped me turn a lot of 16/4's hardwood into cabinets, doors, stairs, etc.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Bob gave you a great analysis of the 735..... I have it also,,, but it doesn't get as much use as SFO. (Blades are about $50.)

I have a little trouble with snipe... outfeed could extend out further... or I could be more dilligent setting an outfeed roller... and IT IS NOISY.

Nice and compact.

Sure is handy when you need it!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I didn't realize the dewalt 735 was that versital. I'm glad to know that. It would be very nice to have a jobsite planer.

I would really consider one of these: $435

http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Tool-Shelix-cutterhead-Dewalt/dp/B008CS2QAE

I think it would pay for itself in not having to replace the whole blade, these things last forever. I plane a ton of wood and a set of these will last me 3+ years. (I'm using a grizzly 20")

With what you are doing with you native studs I think you're going to ruin a lot of blades. Gonna be fun getting all the little rusted pieces of lathe nail out of those things...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice on the planer. What about a jointer?

Spencer

Yea it's a tone of work but the finished product it worth. It. Around here all the studs are either pine. popular, or chestnut.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
If you're gonna be working a lot of reclaimed material, buy a real planer instead of a lunchbox job. Even if ya gotta start with a china import model & upgrade later.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
One of the weaknesses with the DW735 is the blades. I recommend replacing them with some HSS blades from Infinity Cutting Tools when the first set wears out.

As for a jointer, I would look for something with 8" capacity. The reason I say this is that most rough lumber is sold in sizes between 6"-8", so you'll end up wasting a lot of wood. If you're on a budget, take a look at these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0656

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

Again, you may be able to do better with some vintage machinery locally, but if not, I have heard good things about Grizzly lately.

By the way, I have a 6" jointer, and I regret not going 8" from the start EVERY time I buy rough cut lumber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts