Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What tile project are you working on?

566K views 4K replies 216 participants last post by  BJT 
#1 ·
It's been a little dead hereabouts lately, so I thought I would try and liven things up a little.

Post some pics of your current tile projects in progress. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
well,

OK Greg,,,,, you wanted to know. I am staring at a chunk of "Vermont extra sharp cheddar and deciding how big of chunk I want,,,, what knife to use ,,,,,and how big,,,,,,,,when i am done ,I'll post some pictures-:jester:
Luther,,

Seriously,,
Working on a nice remodeling proj,,, bathroom and some WW :thumbsup:-

nice job Greg!:thumbsup:
Brian

#12 ·
Hey Angus, I just got home where I could see your pics a little better (2" screen just didn't do 'em justice), is that new construction? :eek: If it is, YOU LUCKY DOG. Wazza time when 90% of my work was new const. and 10% remod. Now I'm lucky if it is 5/95. :cry:

Looks like a sweet job. Don't fergit to post up some pics when you're done, and along the way. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Not new construction. Round here, all new is union. That's in the few places they are building new.

Actually, that's my house :laughing: :blink:

I start a job next week removing tile. Making a half wall out of a 3/4 wall so some backsplash needs to go away. I will also be doing a new backsplash in their bar area....tile TBD.

I'm also waiting for the customer to purchase tile for a basement bath floor. That house will also get a tiled wine cellar floor & (allegedly) a remodeled master bath.

I was also called yesterday about updating tile around a corner tub. Whoopie!

But back to the pics....my bath has been an ongoing joke. The little lady couldn't make up her mind on tile. Oh yeah, and all that lovely hydronic I installed.....it's all gone. So anyone need about 150' of 3/8 OF PEX, let me know! I'll be using Laticrete's electric heat instead.

Anyone ever use their mats before? They were about 1/2 the price of Nuheat.

#19 ·
no angus. if you install stone the proper way and make the shower waterproof. You dont have to worry. I also seal the stone after its done and grouted and had that bathroom sit for 14 days before it was sealed and used

the small return there like the 1x3 wall. The HO was painting it. Because it didnt look right tiled because of the other side of the tub. would look funny. And as always i only suggest to them and then they are the ones paying me so I have to do what they tell me.

#20 ·
I understand from an installer point of view how you can successfully install stone. However, the maintenance required from the HO isn't a guarantee. Stone not maintained can start looking like shizbah pretty soon after. Just wondering how you explain this to the HO or if you just cash the check and let them worry about it.

I try to steer people away from stone but will install it and make VERY clear, lack of maintenance is not my issue.

Did you really mean 900 ft of floor in a bathroom????

#21 ·
no angus i am not one of thoose guys who just look at the money figure and forget about it. They actually have given me more work. That whole job was a referral from the plumber. And i wish i would have found it before they let a idiot loose in there. That shower ceiling should have been raised up. and if I would have found it from the start of the whole project. They the Ho not buying the material yet. I would have steered them into a porc look like. Because of the reason you just said about cleaning and keeping up with it. But they already bought it and was set on using it. So me as a true craftsman. I went thru everystep to protect my investment and thiers in thier home. been doing it a long time. They also get a 1 year warranty and I had a little class in thier on how to clean the shower and floor. Me being a nice guy bought them the right stuff to clean it with for a year. So after that its up to them. And I apid for the proper cleaning stuff and didnt ask them for the money

#30 ·
well i would be the first to tell ya My deck is not all there.

a freind told me this " I may be crazy. But i may be the lunatic you are looking for"

its a sweet job 900 feet of travertine on the floors. Full trim package and doors. replace both bath vanitys and tops. Paint and crown. reinstall kitchen cabinets and set slabs. and the list is growing..also has a master bath full stone shower that will be hydro barrier all the way with a kerdi drain