Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 4099 Posts

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
Ahh yes..the BigRedShoe. AKA- Jadnashua.
He is Cheez Whiz. Cheez Whiz aint real cheese and he aint a real tile guy. :no:

Thats all hes good for, just standing there.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
So I should quit buying betterbenches? I put one in almost every shower I build lately. At $50 or more per bench it adds up. The local homers is stocking 2" 2x8 panels for around $80 now. I could get a buttload of benches out of that.
Yep. You can get 8 benches out of a 2'x8' piece. It's very easy to create a custom sized bench that fits the tile design. With the better bench we kept wishing it was a hair smaller.

All you do is run a good squigly bead of Kerdi fix on the bench and stick it to the wall. You will need to Kerdi band the front of it because it's exposed foam. Material cost is much less and the time is faster.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
Started a tile shower reno today. Used my Bosch 11264evs in demo mode a lot! I had to demo the existing tile shower. That bad boy worked like a champ!

It is sad really, this shower had major grout failure. I think the guy that installed this shower used construction adhesive/mastic?!

Underneath was a percectly done AquaD waterproofing job. Not a drop of water damage behind the walls…which is good news for the client. They used the fabric in the corners, great coverage...just the wrong adhesive for the tiles...that and regular grout I believe is why this failed prematurely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It is sad really, this shower had major grout failure. I think the guy that installed this shower used construction adhesive/mastic?!
It looks like his layout and cuts were nice. I find floor to ceiling diagonal installs to be one of the more technically difficult.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
It looks like his layout and cuts were nice. I find floor to ceiling diagonal installs to be one of the more technically difficult.
Yeah the corners lined up pretty well too. It's like he ran 26 miles of a marthon and quit...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
As a total system, yes. I liked the floor and curb. Although I found the curb to tall and cut it down. Creasing the fabric prior to installation helped a ton to keep corners sharp.
At the class I was told the curb is that tall because there are a couple places in the states that require the 6" curb so they make them all that high. I cut them down a couple inches.

Yeah, creasing helps a lot. On the outside corners where they want to pucker up a bit, you can rub them back and forth between your hands quickly the opposite way of the pucker and it helps them lay down better.

It's a good system for sure. I like the pan especially because the whole mud bed thing was hard for me to do when I only did it about twice a year. Never got good at it.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
At the class I was told the curb is that tall because there are a couple places in the states that require the 6" curb so they make them all that high. I cut them down a couple inches.

Yeah, creasing helps a lot. On the outside corners where they want to pucker up a bit, you can rub them back and forth between your hands quickly the opposite way of the pucker and it helps them lay down better.

It's a good system for sure. I like the pan especially because the whole mud bed thing was hard for me to do when I only did it about twice a year. Never got good at it.
I am signed up for the 2 day class in June. Looking forward to it. I won't say it is the end all solution for all showers, but I like it so far for me. I am the same as you...I didn't have the confidence to do a regular mud bed well.

My tile guy I use when we are slammed prefers to do a mud bed and then Kerdi everything. He is good at that. I helped him do a shower before and it was amazing to watch him do the bed. Definitely a skill.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am signed up for the 2 day class in June. Looking forward to it. I won't say it is the end all solution for all showers, but I like it so far for me. I am the same as you...I didn't have the confidence to do a regular mud bed well.

My tile guy I use when we are slammed prefers to do a mud bed and then Kerdi everything. He is good at that. I helped him do a shower before and it was amazing to watch him do the bed. Definitely a skill.

I'm doing the first course next week. Pretty excited about it. Even just getting all the samples is going to be nice.

3341 - 3360 of 4099 Posts