Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about door casing with rosettes:
Many of the doors in a place I’m renovating are crammed in a tight space where the current casing (rosette free) is ripped way down to a strip that fits. Customer wants rosettes on all the casing... would you rip rosettes, cutting the profile, or set them closer together so the full profile is visible, or just leave them out entirely on these doorways and mitre my casing at the corners?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was faced with the same situation once, I was able to make smaller rosettes and shrunk the casing to match. You could also use plain corner blocks with just a router edge, might also be acceptable. Other fix for a lot more work is smaller doors and shift everything over .PITA Hope that helps I’m sure there are other solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reframe all the openings so you can give him those full rosettes he so dearly loves, and tell him up front you're gonna do it and charge for it accordingly.

I know a guy who wanted a 72 Porsche 914, but outfitted with 911 components from the mid to late 70s. Engine, tranny, wheels, axles, everything. The bodywork alone, to flare the rear fenders do as to house the fat 911 wheels, cost more than the engine.

For your guy, it's the rosettes, so just get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I work in many old houses, I have seen many ripped rosettes but usually none smaller than 2 1/2. Very rarely see the head casing pass over the side casing instead of cutting rosette,

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
I've seen rosette's ripped down in old houses as well. if you're doing a high end job and can physically move the door, then that's an option, but then you may have electric and wood flooring to mess with-there was a reason rosette's were cut down, b/c it was easy.

a goofy solution might be to install a door 2" smaller.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,801 Posts
Thanks. You’re great. Best of luck.
even though your reply is snarky, it was actually the best advice you were given. But since you're actually the homeowner coming in here posing as a contractor hoping we will give you professional advice for free, well........it's kinda hard for you to have that conversation, isn't it?

·
Registered
Carpenter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
even though your reply is snarky, it was actually the best advice you were given. But since you're actually the homeowner coming in here posing as a contractor hoping we will give you professional advice for free, well........it's kinda hard for you to have that conversation, isn't it?
Holy hell I was warned about this place, soon to leave I guess. Too bad. 1st off, The reply I got was rude, presumptuous, and my response to it was as polite as could be mustered considering.
2nd, no I’m not a homeowner, I’m a contractor, and why are you here, barking at me instead of using this forum to exchange questions and advice? How miserable are you?

·
Kowboy
2,520 Posts
Holy hell I was warned about this place, soon to leave I guess. Too bad. 1st off, The reply I got was rude, presumptuous, and my response to it was as polite as could be mustered considering.
2nd, no I’m not a homeowner, I’m a contractor, and why are you here, barking at me instead of using this forum to exchange questions and advice? How miserable are you?
JLekas:
As an 11-year participant here, let me apologize on behalf of CT please. I too have been victimized by CT's sister site, Plumbing Zone, where I was accused of spamming and being an unlicensed plumber, both easily verifiable as false. I've let the management here know; their silence and lack of action show just how little they appreciate the long-term participants that make this site the value it is.

Stick around please. There are a lot of good people here that compensate for the occasional overreacting jerks, whether they are owners, moderators, or fellow participants.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,801 Posts
You come here with a first post that sounds like a homeowner. Excuse me if I wrongly assumed, but we get inundated with homeowners starting out just like you did. I suggest you take this opportunity to actually introduce yourself & qualify yourself as a professional instead of a diyer, then you'll likely get treated like a professional.

That said, you seem to have some mighty thin skin for someone who's been on jobsites. As for how miserable am I? I'm not, I'm actually pretty damn happy go lucky, just don't like freeloaders.

As for my contributions, it only takes a search of my name to read what I've posted & contributed to this site over the years.

·
90%-er
1,444 Posts
OP, best thing you can do to the big tough guys here is absolutely nothing. Introduce yourself in the appropriate thread, mention your credentials, then ask away.

Almost every single post here that asks for advice (including most of mine) could easily be mistaken for a homeowner fishing for free work. There is nothing wrong with asking guys who have more experience what the options are to be educated , before you talk to your customer.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Do mock ups, & let HO decide. A lot of decision will be dependent on where the problem door s are, paint or stain, etc. We used to miter the rosettes, but even that can be iffy. You might consider a stop block at the corner, & then butt rossete into block.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,617 Posts
This is one where you have to dummy up samples of what the options would look like and show the customer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Customer is always right, even when they are wrong. make a couple of sketches of what you think the worst looking finish is, make the customer initial it’s approval give a price to remove and repair the one he doesn’t like. Start the work.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
We put word out that we were looking for a soft arse then you showed up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts