Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came from a HVAC contractors auction. They had a huge box of power tools so this came with. Its a ridgid 776, whatever that is. It would make a nice ground clamp for welding pipe. :w00t:

Attachments

·
Banned
846 Posts
Tubing cutter?

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is another pic, it looks almost like its supposed to punch a hole through a pipe. The threaded rod is hollow, I dont know if its missing parts or not. It may go with a pipe threading machine or something. Some guy probably bought something at the auction and its missing this. :laughing:

Attachments

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The auctioneer asked one guy standing there what it was and I didnt listen because I didnt care. Nobody wanted it so they threw it in a pile of power tools and sold the whole pile.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't tell you what it is, but a google of "ridgid 776" brings your question up in the #2 spot!
I googled it before I posted it here hoping to find out what it is.

·
Banned
669 Posts
It's not a tubing cutter or pipe cutter 'cause the teeth wouldn't allow it to spin.

It's not likely a tap (with missing blade) cause it's off center and why limit the diameter.

It's not a clamp cause it's got a few different leverage handles.

It looks like aluminum so you can carry it around in your tool pouch ....

I think it's an adjustable wrench with a missing jaw. Made by Rube Goldberg himself!

Reactions: Deadhead Derek

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe a support arm for a threader?
I agree, it's part of a greater assembly. The smooth rod is a pivot and installs into another part. The clamp jaw (lower) is there, but the upper jaw might have inserted into the hollow shank of the screw. It might be offset to allow the missing jaw to exert more force opposite the direction of torque.

This, just from looking at it. I did a quick search of Ridgid's website, but couldn't see anything on current models of reamers or cutters or threaders that had that part on it.

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want to know, go to their website and submit a query to them with your pictures. I'm sure they have somebody there that knows....

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I agree, it's part of a greater assembly. The smooth rod is a pivot and installs into another part. The clamp jaw (lower) is there, but the upper jaw might have inserted into the hollow shank of the screw. It might be offset to allow the missing jaw to exert more force opposite the direction of torque.
I agree with these guys as the most logical answer :thumbup:

Wrenches gain no advantages from perpendicular handles and it would just get in the way.

I've never seen something for pinching off with jaws like that (teeth).

Teeth are to stop it from spinning. It has to be a clamp.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Teeth are to stop it from spinning. It has to be a clamp.
True it has teeth, but why the relief hole in the bottom? That screams punch.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts