Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Build it better
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:censored:I am having a spray pattern issue with my airless. My spray pattern 3/4 of the way across shoots a line, then goes back to a fan. I have done the fallowing to try to correct the problem:
  1. Cleaned the rock, gun, and machine screens
  2. bought a new tip..415 (recamended for my type of paint)
  3. adjusted the psi up and down
  4. flushed the system
  5. new spray gaurd
Can anybody offer any other solutions?
Thanks,
Rick

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
Hello there,
I would recommend replacing all the filters and then checking that the material that you are spraying is new. I've sprayed using a paint that a client gave me and it ended up being a couple years old and it was trash. I couldn't spray a decent fan until I replaced all filters and flushed the airless a couple times. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:censored:I am having a spray pattern issue with my airless. My spray pattern 3/4 of the way across shoots a line, then goes back to a fan. I have done the fallowing to try to correct the problem:
  1. Cleaned the rock, gun, and machine screens
  2. bought a new tip..415 (recamended for my type of paint)
  3. adjusted the psi up and down
  4. flushed the system
  5. new spray gaurd
Can anybody offer any other solutions?
Thanks,
Rick
By "shoots a line" do you mean loads of paint or none?

In any case the issue is usually at the tip, assuming pressure is sufficient.

A new tip should have cleared it up if you are running adequate pressure. Tips will frequently have "tails" on either end of the pattern, especially if you do not have enough pressure.

I am assuming you are using a reverse-a-tip. If you are using a flat tip, I would recommend a pre-orifice meter, it helps "condition" the paint just before the tip, it replaces the washer and has a hole .002" smaller than the tip size.

Filters have to be real bad before they start effecting the pattern.

But grit in the tip is the most likely cause. Not sure why a new tip didn't fix it for you.

Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
try repacking the gun.
if that don't work i have a brand new two finger graco gun i can sell you,boy do i hate those guns they make my fingers cramp up

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree thinning is usually the problem i had that problem today with a chocolate colored oil the paint was cold so needed alot of extra thinning

·
native floridian
119 Posts
1st strain the paint, then make sure you have the proper filter for the tip you are using. Also make sure the airless is maintaining proper pressure range. Sounds like it may be letting the pressure drop too much before kicking on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Material too thick or not enough pressure. If thinning does not help, I would try another tip and search for clogs in system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts