Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm so old I remember putting sheets of Transite (asbestos) on the walls for tile backer.
It was actually pretty darned good stuff.

We sawed and drilled that stuff and never gave it a second thought.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,486 Posts
I agree, I just re did my 30 year old bathroom that only had green board with tile directly over it and studs were immaculate. No window and a very poor fan too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
It was done like that for decades and decades without any real major issues as long as it was still stable. The inspector nazis found small issues and wrote pages and pages of requirements because of a few small things that happen. Now we need a pool as a shower just to pass inspection.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I'm so old I remember putting sheets of Transite (asbestos) on the walls for tile backer.
It was actually pretty darned good stuff.

We sawed and drilled that stuff and never gave it a second thought.
I never knew that came in large boards, I had a house with transite roof shingles once

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, rot stops abruptly at the plate.

My guess is that the rot worked it’s way up the studs.

It’ll get new shear and siding anyway.

Spotty places with rot on the siding, which corresponds with cracks from the sun.

If it was coming in from outside I’d see a lot more damage to the shear and siding. 👍

Wood Material property Beam Building material Ceiling

Wood Window Beam Building House

Wood Beam Brick Brickwork Tints and shades

·
Registered
14,149 Posts
Thinking the same here. Especially that much in a shower you said wasn't used much.

A totally outdoor shower wouldn't have that much rot. Something is going on there.

It may just be bugs and termites that did it I suppose.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Its coming from the top I think, look at the amount of corrosion on the copper in the ceiling. That insulation had to have been drenched for a real long time for that. Condensation would not be that bad above the ceiling although the recessed light does not help

·
Registered
Remodel
34,733 Posts
Its coming from the top I think, look at the amount of corrosion on the copper in the ceiling. That insulation had to have been drenched for a real long time for that. Condensation would not be that bad above the ceiling although the recessed light does not help

Bath fan leaking into a ceiling can get a lot of condensation.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
🙄

New tile turns into major structural repair.

It’s definitely an interior problem.

No moisture above the ceiling at all.

Fan is vented outside.

No moisture in the cavity with the can light.

It just looks like soaked drywall and framing, and capillary action couple with bugs, to spread it slightly above the shower head level.

Im bringing in an exterminator. There is a major bug infestation. I thought they were ants. Someone said they might be termites.

Window Building Wood Plant Brickwork

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No, I’m not done with demo.

Lot more siding coming off.

Later on this year maybe I’m supposed to replace that whole gable end

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Was there a downspout along that corner?

That doesn't look like any other vapor drive I've seen, more like the back pitched gutter wall repair i did 2 years ago (and that was only a 1' gutter)

I'd be looking more around that outside corner if those copper lines are solid.

That's just a vent line, not a waste line going up the wall, right? Maybe it got hit with a nail

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Was there a downspout along that corner?

That doesn't look like any other vapor drive I've seen, more like the back pitched gutter wall repair i did 2 years ago (and that was only a 1' gutter)

I'd be looking more around that outside corner if those copper lines are solid.

That's just a vent line, not a waste line going up the wall, right? Maybe it got hit with a nail

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Don’t believe there was a downspout. Not positive though.

With so many folk saying the same thing, I’m definitely investigating this more.

Should be on temp wall and framing tear out tomorrow, anxious to see what kind of damage below the subfloor.

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
IMO .. It definitely had a top down issue.
I suspect a moisture problem occurred both at the top of the wall and also at the bottom where it met the floor. Certainly not uncommon to see this in a corner of a shower when the service wall is an exterior wall. The top and bottom of the exterior service corner are notorious for leaking over time (cracked tile and grout in the corner).
You do not see it as often or as severe in a bath or shower that are not built on exterior walls. How often have you ever tore up a shower not on an exterior wall and found this?
Exterior walls have more moisture transfer and also flex more (cracked tile and grout) than interior walls.
That is why we do not design and build showers or water features on exterior walls anymore except for a water closet or sink.
Granted this is an extreme example but we all know this is not that uncommon. Almost all bathroom and shower areas built more than 20 years ago look like this.
These extreme examples come from a home that lacked proper maintenance and from homes that have had extended periods of time that it was unoccupied or used sporadically.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Well, more I tore into it, the more damage I found.

Ended up removing a good piece of the gable end wall.

There was substantial rot under the lower windows. Upper ones are fine.

Wood Road surface Track Brickwork Brick

The interior was remodeled about 3 weeks ago. 😳

Im trying to save what I can.

Put in a new rim board, new studs and plates, new sheathing.

The edge of the subfloor was rotted, so I cut a 5“ strip of it out.

I built my own “I-Joist” out of rim board and plywood and set it on the inside of the plate, to support the original subfloor and the new strip.

Plant Tree Asphalt Road surface Wood

Plant Wheel Tree Tire Wood

Wood Lumber Composite material Plank Metal

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Plant

Window Wood Building Fixture Siding

Window Wood Building Ladder Wall

Got most of it framed up.

Im under the gun here. Tile guys are scheduled for next Wednesday to install the shower.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts