Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Thats pretty bad but not the worst, the worst is when the studs are gone. Was that a tiled shower? Looks like it was a plastic liner shower. My guess is a homeowner special, Goldline was a HD product.
I don't think there was Redgard back in 2000, there are hundreds of thousands of tract houses done that way in the 80s and 90s. I did one like that and instead of the mice it was 3 ft deep of dead squirrels and acorns.

My first thought is always "how did they not smell this?

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Not many showers done during that time will last as long as a shower done in the 60s-80s with drywall and that non organic adhesive ( the tan stuff )
Difference is with durock you have no idea how bad it is behind there

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I'm so old I remember putting sheets of Transite (asbestos) on the walls for tile backer.
It was actually pretty darned good stuff.

We sawed and drilled that stuff and never gave it a second thought.
I never knew that came in large boards, I had a house with transite roof shingles once

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Its coming from the top I think, look at the amount of corrosion on the copper in the ceiling. That insulation had to have been drenched for a real long time for that. Condensation would not be that bad above the ceiling although the recessed light does not help

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
do you keep that open or close it up each day, sometimes I wind up doing less each day just so i can be sure I can get it closed up for the night. Had that problem this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts