Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna put this in the Current Project thread, but I thought it needed it’s own special spot. 🙄 😳

I will never understand builders who half ass their work. This is a shower that was built with tile over drywall, no moisture barrier at all.

No tar paper, no RedGard, nothing. House was built in 2001 I believe.

This is an exterior wall. Corner of the house.

Corner studs are gone. Plates are gone.

When I finish demo tomorrow, I should know the extent of the damage.

At this point, it’s looking like new shear wall, studs, top and bottom plates, sub-floor, new siding, (it’s cedar T&G, so not easy to spot repair), all of this above the bathroom remodel.

And it’s infested with ants, possibly termites, and I found about 30 mouse carcasses in a wall cavity.

Wood Wall Tints and shades Door Water
Brown Wood Tints and shades Monochrome Metal

Brown Wood World Art Font

Brown Wood Tints and shades Monochrome Metal

This in mice. Probably 30 of them at least.

Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Water Concrete

·
Registered
GC
1,819 Posts
What in Gods creation is that thing in the first pic? And are you going to kill it first or just battle it out to the dumpster and pray it doesn't crawl back in?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ceiling is already demo’d. Didn’t get pics of it.

Tomorrows pics will be better. Insulation is gone, ceiling is gone, it was supposed to be gut-to-the-studs remodel, now it looks like a “gut-to-the-siding” remodel. 😳

”That thing” in the corner is (was) a 2x6 corner, with insulation, made into a haven for every wood-eating bug out there. Just a gloved hand and the whole thing came out.

Ive demo’d a lot of rotted framing and beat up bathrooms, but for extent and age, this one takes the cake. Its 20 years max. Most of that time low use evidently.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Thats pretty bad but not the worst, the worst is when the studs are gone. Was that a tiled shower? Looks like it was a plastic liner shower. My guess is a homeowner special, Goldline was a HD product.
I don't think there was Redgard back in 2000, there are hundreds of thousands of tract houses done that way in the 80s and 90s. I did one like that and instead of the mice it was 3 ft deep of dead squirrels and acorns.

My first thought is always "how did they not smell this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
What in Gods creation is that thing in the first pic? And are you going to kill it first or just battle it out to the dumpster and pray it doesn't crawl back in?
I think it’s either an alien cocoon or a type of demonic spawn sack. Hard to tell from the pic.
home owners had to smell the moldy smell way before it got that bad though

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I’m not a big fan of paint/ Red guard preventing moisture from penetrating the wall that’s why I always use kurdi…. But damn!

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats pretty bad but not the worst, the worst is when the studs are gone. Was that a tiled shower? Looks like it was a plastic liner shower. My guess is a homeowner special, Goldline was a HD product.
I don't think there was Redgard back in 2000, there are hundreds of thousands of tract houses done that way in the 80s and 90s. I did one like that and instead of the mice it was 3 ft deep of dead squirrels and acorns.

My first thought is always "how did they not smell this?

2000’s was tar paper and Durock I guess?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m not a big fan of paint/ Red guard preventing moisture from penetrating the wall that’s why I always use kurdi…. But damn!
I don’t do a ton of showers. Did a couple with RedGard last year

This one my tile sub is doing. It’ll be a Schluter 👍

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,795 Posts
That's 20 years ago boys. I've done a few of those jobs farther back in time just like that, not sheetrock, durock. It's how it was done. And there was no flood testing or anything like that required.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Not many showers done during that time will last as long as a shower done in the 60s-80s with drywall and that non organic adhesive ( the tan stuff )
Difference is with durock you have no idea how bad it is behind there

1 - 20 of 56 Posts