Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've wanted to start my own business now for sometime. I've done landscape work before, and I'm thinking of doing that. However, I'm also wanting to have a mobile pressure washing service to provide on the side of landscaping as a bonus service to offer. I know a bit about pressure washers and I've worked with them lots over the years. However, I'm sure I still have lots to learn about them and that business. I have watched some instructional videos on some of the different jobs that can be done. For the longest time I hadn't had the money to make a pressure washer purchase, but now I do. I have researched it and it sounds like a good one to start with. I live in a city with approximately 100,000 people and there's a few pressure washer business's that rent and sale them. But there's only one mobile pressure washer business I know of that actually provides the tools and the cleaning service, which rather surprises me. So that said there's some competition, but perhaps not a whole lot. I'm just nervous about taking the plunge and making the pressure washer purchase which is just under $3000.00. I'm thinking I would also need a surface cleaner and a few other accessories. But the pressure washer is the primary tool that I would need that costs the most. Does this sound like a worth roll of the dice for me to make? Is there anything else I should know? All information is welcome. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
My mates brother got into this a few years back 70k GBP later he had one serious slick pressure washing setup and done everything from bubble gum to graffiti and government buildings. It paid well but didnt pay enough. About a year later he went out of business. The problem he had was everyone with a pressure washer thought they could have their own business doing this. He got priced out the market.

Where I live here in the US there a lot of PW company's but they do mainly siding and its not great money.

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Don't know where you live but here the only PW's that seem to do very well are the ones that have the correct equipment to do Shake Roof cleans... Risky but good pay so I have been told.

We have an enclosed Tile/Concrete/Carpet cleaner that goes to 4000 psi with recovery tank and have been asked several times to do convenience/gas station lot cleans but the EPA rules make it to prohibitive for my blood.......

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
FremontREO said:
Don't know where you live but here the only PW's that seem to do very well are the ones that have the correct equipment to do Shake Roof cleans... Risky but good pay so I have been told. We have an enclosed Tile/Concrete/Carpet cleaner that goes to 4000 psi with recovery tank and have been asked several times to do convenience/gas station lot cleans but the EPA rules make it to prohibitive for my blood.......
Risky yes, I know a guy who hit the shake with water and he slipped on the wet moss, he land on both feet and is now in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. I would say it doesn't pay enough for that kind of risk. IMO

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Risky yes, I know a guy who hit the shake with water and he slipped on the wet moss, he land on both feet and is now in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. I would say it doesn't pay enough for that kind of risk. IMO
Thats a terrible lesson! Every Shake PW'er I have seen use the rope & harness for just this reason..slippery as heck. Cleaning Shake isn't about the amount of PSI since its just a nice drizzle spray but all about the cleaner that is used.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Why don't you start out renting the pressure washer. Then if you decide your marketing skills are good enough to keep bringing in work, go buy one. I'd definitely go with the trailer and storage tank set up if you're going to buy, hot water pressure washer would be nice but I would wait on that.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
No matter what you start its a 50/50 gamble... its all up to you and if you don't try, you will never know.

With that said, keep in mind that if you have 100k population and only one guy on wheels who does the service, maybe the demand is not there or a few more guys would make that part of theirs service.

In addition, before you dump all your cash into a power washer, get one for a half the 3k (a smaller one) and rent a larger one if it calls for and use your money to advertise, send out fliers to businesses, newspaper adds, etc to kick start your business and when you see things going good you can expand...
This way you don't dump all your money into a power washer and if you see there is no money in this business, work it to make it good on your investment and stick to landscaping.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I would say no to pressure washing. You would be better off offering wash and wax serivices on peoples cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts