Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got any ideas throw them this way. Normally I would shim the out of level areas but this is almost over 1/2" out in less than 2ft. There's no joists under the wall to the room on the right so its sunk down this side a lot.

It now explains why they done hardwoods in the rooms next to the hall way but not in the hallway. Another quality Roanoke built home!

image-1191637566.jpg

image-2774060917.jpg

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
What type of floorin are you putting down? I just did some hardwood over some dippy flooring like that. I stacked gradually a smaller layers of luan, and feathered them out with layers of 30 lb felt.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Floating a hardwood floor on it. Basically there 2 layers oh subfloor that bring it flush to the hardwoods in the other rooms. I either need to level ontop of 1st layer and then apply the last layer of subfloor or I need to put the second layer of subfloor down then apply some kind of leveling.

Tried the 30lb felt but its so far out in all directions I can't get it as good as I would like.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would 1/2" of felt between the 2 layers of subfloor work? Then that way I can do the final adjustment on top of the second layer of subfloor with just 1-2 layers of 30lb felt.

Not keen on self leveling with the amount of flex this has in that area.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Would 1/2" of felt between the 2 layers of subfloor work? Then that way I can do the final adjustment on top of the second layer of subfloor with just 1-2 layers of 30lb felt. Not keen on self leveling with the amount of flex this has in that area.
Can you put supports underneath .

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is there access to the floor below? I would see what's there (if anything.) and either add a joist and jack it up or jack up the existing joist and support it. I've used 2x4's over a car jack for situations similar to this before.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jacking up the walls and putting joists under the stair wall ain't gonna happen. Whole house slopes down to center beam both sides also which ain't helping matters. Fully finished basement and what I would call "Normal" in these parts. Customers budget is tight on the flooring alone let alone messing with the structure as well. Here's the floors on the front room. I don't think they had levels in these parts when these places were built. image-2716228243.jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd probably resort to self leveling concrete mix then. And float it out in the part that are real bad. Used it before and it worked pretty good

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C2projects said:
I'd probably resort to self leveling concrete mix then. And float it out in the part that are real bad. Used it before and it worked pretty good
The problem with that is I'm worried SLC won't handle the flex in the first layer of subfloor because of where the 2nd layer ending dead center of the 16" span between joists. I would have no problem using it on a solid floor but def not here. The first layer of subfloor is only 1/2" ply.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hmm I'm stumped now. Only things I can think of is maybe doing a thin layer of SLC to make the gap you're floating less and it not weighing as much as doing the whole thing.

Or talk to the home owner about it being necessary to raise the budget and strengthen the floor to support the SLC. PITA either way, even just opening up the ceiling below to give it the support it needs and leavin it open till they save up again to finish it.

Are you concerned at all about the floor sinking any more and messing up your transitions?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
C2projects said:
Hmm I'm stumped now. Only things I can think of is maybe doing a thin layer of SLC to make the gap you're floating less and it not weighing as much as doing the whole thing. Or talk to the home owner about it being necessary to raise the budget and strengthen the floor to support the SLC. PITA either way, even just opening up the ceiling below to give it the support it needs and leavin it open till they save up again to finish it. Are you concerned at all about the floor sinking any more and messing up your transitions?
Well if it does drop more and I use felt it will drop at the same rate as the other rooms flooring. The house has been here a while and there's been no more movement in that wall/floor for a good long time. What's crazy is I see this a lot in this area. It's very rare around here on houses this age that joists are ever under walls correctly. 1/2" subfloor is also the Norma around here. Sometimes covered in concrete too lol

I got the felt down now so I'm gonna lay the subfloor and see what happens. as long as I'm within the. 1/8" in 6ft I'm happy and so is the customer.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,950 Posts
I don't think they had levels in these parts when these places were built.
Don't think I've ever seen a house 50+ years old that wasn't settled in the middle a bit. Just part of the joy of remodeling work.

I wouldn't use felt, because that will compress over time. You could cut several long wood shims out of 2x4s...

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
Some local guys around my parts added fine grain sand over the felt paper to fill in and feather out low spots. When I asked them about it they explained that it wouldn't migrate away from the area it was applied in (it was a nail down floor), and it shouldn't make a 'crunchy' noise underfoot.
I'm not sure how large your repair area is, or if this is applicable/practical for your situation...just tossin' out an idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts