Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project in a business office where the first level walls are made of old concrete. The tricky and unfortunate dillema is the wall is made up of old coral heads and sand from the near by caribbean sea years ago. On the island i live on this was a common practice back in the day, although today because the salt was never removed, the wall is very brittle at the suface and if brushed up against comes off. I havnt tried anything yet. I would like to try some type off concrete sealer but not sure which type or brand to try. It is a business office so something with the least amount of fumes or harsh smell would be ideal. Any suggestions?

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
I have a project in a business office where the first level walls are made of old concrete. The tricky and unfortunate dillema is the wall is made up of old coral heads and sand from the near by caribbean sea years ago. On the island i live on this was a common practice back in the day, although today because the salt was never removed, the wall is very brittle at the suface and if brushed up against comes off. I havnt tried anything yet. I would like to try some type off concrete sealer but not sure which type or brand to try. It is a business office so something with the least amount of fumes or harsh smell would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you are in a big dillema. You need to remove any loose debri before u seal or paint it, you can't seal over deteriated concrete. Be carful cleaning the debri, it can end up being a bigger job than you expect.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
An alternate would be to clean the wall surface, mist spray it and apply Thoroseal (white or gray) to smooth it out a bit. A second wetter and thinner coat could be used to get a smoother finish. Thoroseal works well over any concrete surface, does not smell, but can be a mess to apply the pancake consistency "batter" if you want maximum filling. - Definitely follow instructions when mixing and allow it to fatten up before final water and mixing. Putting it on with a normal brush is not difficult, but the thicker consistancy requires a big, coarse brush and a strong arm if you are try to cover a rugged surface. Can be recoated the next day and you can use Acryl 60 (latex adhesive) to increase bond if necessary, but one cement based product over another does not usually require it.

·
Mooman Master Mason or 3M
109 Posts
Maybe you are trying to seal it for money reasons, but if it was in the budget, consider fastening lathe to the wall and stuccoing that. It won't be an issue then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts