Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Eckwitte
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Im going to be picking up an SDS plus soon and i was wondering what you guys were using. I was thinking about picking up Makitas new HR2470FT $250. :thumbup:

check it out
justtools.com.au/prod3499.htm

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have the Bosch bulldog extreme. I have to say I am very happy with it. I just read a review in the latest JLC magazine, the Makita was rated pretty good too.

Dave

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've got all hiltis, around here on commercial sites all you see are Boschand Hilti. I think you'll be pretty happy with any of the big names.

I'm not sure if other companies have caught on, but the quick change chuck is pretty slick. If you don't already have an SDS and don't feel like throwing out all your smooth shamk bits having the option of a standard chuck is nice...plus I don't think you can get SDS bits that are nearly 4 feet long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have both a Bosch and Makita SDS hammer drill, and would rank them about the same, if I had to choose between them though, I would probably pick the Bosch.

·
Super Moderator
10,557 Posts
Bought my first sds about 3 years ago on a clearance rack for 60 bucks. I didnt know what it could do. I just thought it was a heavy duty drill.
After seeing the chipping feature and using it the first time I knew I would always have to have one. I now have three. One bosch which doesn't have chipping feature but has the best hammer/drill abilities I have seen in any hammer drill. The other two are dewalt and they are fine too. One of these days I want to get one of the big heavy duty almost jackhammer types, but I will wait patiently for a good deal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have had Hiliti, Bosch, and Makita. I have been using the Makita the most. Less vibration for me and it seems faster.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey guys,

Im going to be picking up an SDS plus soon and i was wondering what you guys were using. I was thinking about picking up Makitas new HR2470FT $250. :thumbup:

check it out
justtools.com.au/prod3499.htm
I have that drill. I like that drill. Paid $170CDN last year. $250 is high unless it's the model that has the removable chuck feature so you can replace with a standard chuck ($$$extra built by Makita$$$) for using non-SDS plus bits.

But maybe I got a deal?

·
Eckwitte
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have that drill. I like that drill. Paid $170CDN last year. $250 is high unless it's the model that has the removable chuck feature so you can replace with a standard chuck ($$$extra built by Makita$$$) for using non-SDS plus bits.

But maybe I got a deal?

Yeah i was looking at the one that had the dual feature, I want to see it in person and check it out but it doesn't seem like anyone carries em. I even called the Makita Store around here and he only sells rebuilt stuff...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Bosch Bulldog and Bulldog Extreme. Very Happy but it may be becuase I have never tried a Makita or thought I would get the extra value of paying more for a Hilti.
Cheers Jim

·
4,617 Posts
We recently added the little Hilti TE6S to our stable and what a schaaaveeeet little SDS Plus drill.

It doesn't chip, has a regular hammer, soft hammer and no hammer modes but for tile and brick, that soft hammer is just the ticket.

It was pricey, no doubt about it, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have 2 bosch units, a smaller unit $250 +/-, and a bigger unit $350+/-, The larger unit is okay, but I really like the smaller one better because it has reverse. The bigger unit doesn't have reverse, and I have gotten bits stuck before, and find it much easier to remove a bit with the reverse feature.

I have had the chuck repaired once on the larger one, but have had decent luck with both.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Makita corded. DeWalt cordless. I use my DeWalt 95% of the time because of convenience. I get about a dozen 5/8" x 2" holes to a lithium battery. It is quite a workhorse.
Note: I have found that Diager bits work the best. They are French three blade drill bits & difficult to come by in the States, but they will go right through rebar. They are also self sharpening. I picked up a set off Ebay a few years ago & I haven't seen a good deal on them since.
Steve

·
Registered
234 Posts
Note: I have found that Diager bits work the best. They are French three blade drill bits & difficult to come by in the States, but they will go right through rebar.
Steve
:eek:sama: YOU bought something FRENCH?

Isn't that the same as buying a Toyota in the seventies? Shame on you. You call yourself an American:laughing:.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Hitachi, love it. Got a good price on it from my local rental store. That's what they rent out, so must hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
:eek:sama: YOU bought something FRENCH?

Isn't that the same as buying a Toyota in the seventies? Shame on you. You call yourself an American:laughing:.
True, but what a great feeling when you go right through rebar like butter.
Steve

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I have a Metabo that I bought at a pawn shop a few years ago. Had never used SDS before and thought I'd give it a try for the money they were asking for it. Best money I ever spent. I needed a speed control for it this past winter and all the parts are available and the tech service was great. I don't use it a lot, so I don't know how it compares with Hilti or Bosch in the long term but I really like it. Has the quick change chuck, which is really nice, too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts