Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An older 6' X 12' paver patio from the late 70's or something, 12"x12" X 1.5" pavers, not very level or perfect etc, but there's soil in the gaps up to 1 1/4" wide and 1" deep. I don't know if sand, gravel and weed block material or just dirt is under everything.

Just wanting a permanent maintenance-free way to keep the weeds out, no evil round-up spraying, ruining the soil underneath forever with salt, no pre emergents etc.

If I put regular mortar, won't that result in cracks from not letting the patio move slightly? There's no tree roots near the patio to worry about though. Should I add bonder if I fill with mortar? If I fill the voids with something flexible, should I add foam backer rod? Should I fill the voids in with sand up to a certain depth and then add mortar or whatever's suggested? Some joints are flush to the top with soil, so how deep to dig them out to allow for the filler?

If I use a mortar, just fill in with a grout bag, pack it down with tool, swipe smooth and finish with a sponge and sponge away whatever gets on the pavers won't stain them?

or apply dry like this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXHBx50FAnI

But apparently mortar isn't permanent hence this video removing old mortar? and how does screeding mortar over the whole patio like this not stain the * out of everything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3QXuZkWkU

thanks.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Is this a serious request?

Reactions: dom-mas

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I would suggest filling it with spray foam then once dried cut it even with the surface. Only use window and door foam so it will not Bow the pavers out.

Reactions: TNTRenovate

·
Hack
3,010 Posts
You're going to spend at least half the amount of time 'fixing' the pavers than it would take to pull them and install them again.
Just pull them up and do it again. Put some landscape fabric down under the bedding sand, and fill the joints with polymeric sand.
It's a 6'x12'...you can do that yourself in a weekend.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for the serious replies.

Re-doing this patio is not an option. They originally just wanted something like paver sand that can be done in about an hour to keep weeds permanently out, but the sand would just wash out and track everywhere, ants, and weeds back very soon.

Some gaps are 1/4", others are 1 1/4" due to a half-ass instillation or serious frost movement. The gaps are too big for the polymeric sand I checked out. The gator dust suggested is polymeric and says it's okay for spaces up to 4", but I'll never find it in stores.

this guy uses 1 part portland type I/II cement to 2 parts masonry sand as a dry mix and presses it hard into the joints then sponges everything. Maybe I'll just use something like that. But is there something better to prevent cracking/frost heave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEM0cwDzMro&list=UUUw1S23nlmkUWsCso9HhBAg

maybe even a flexible masonry caulk over backer rod and then dusted with cement for aesthetics, would probable be 10 tubes but no mixing needed and I just want this done.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it hard to believe there's no masonry w/ w/o additives that will fill these without cracking, so I'm going with the polymeric and checking around to maybe find something that withstands larger gaps than the product I read.

I originally told them sand will come right out and tred everywhere and polymeric isn't guaranteed to withstand such gaps but they opted to gamble with polymeric anyway.

Thanks

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I find it hard to believe there's no masonry w/ w/o additives that will fill these without cracking, so I'm going with the polymeric and checking around to maybe find something that withstands larger gaps than the product I read.

I originally told them sand will come right out and tred everywhere and polymeric isn't guaranteed to withstand such gaps but they opted to gamble with polymeric anyway.

Thanks
Sounds like you and your customer were made for each other.

Pavers use each other to hold position. The sand locks them in place. With gaps that large the sand, or fillers, allows for too much play and movement. Nothing that you put in there will stop that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sounds like something to walk away from. there is probably no good solution other than redoing them. I would guess the base underneath is in bad shape also. A half fix is only a good way to have a angry customer.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
again, this video, they press hard into the joints 1 part portland type I/II cement -to- 2 parts masonry sand mixed on the very dry side then sponge everything. Those gaps are about 1 1/4" if not larger and it apparently works, but if everyone's saying otherwise, I'll just polymeric it. Maybe because there's cement under the flagstones in that vid, but I think I heard him mention sand can be used instead of cement under the flagstones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEM0cwDzMro&list=UUUw1S23nlmkUWsCso9HhBAg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts