Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and put knobs on this unit today.
Turned out pretty good but I was taken back by the picture and sound this system produces.
I obviously know what the cabinet went for. I also know what the electronics went for.
Not sure what the new fireplace insert cost or the new tile surround, but I can guess that.

How much would you pay for your TV viewing pleasure?

When I turned on the power to the TV the motorized arm moves the unit out to this pre determined location. Power off and it goes back.

Don't ask me what all the components are. I have no clue.

Furniture Cabinetry Room Property Hutch

The vent lookin thing in the kick is the sub woofer that lives in the crawl space. It has a duct thingy that delivers the base.

Furniture Sideboard Wood stain Cabinetry Drawer

Room Property Furniture Cabinetry Floor

I mean no disrespect to the nice people who paid for this stuff. I just really wonder what kind of cash would most people put out for a quality system if you could afford it.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
How much would you pay for your TV viewing pleasure?

View attachment 21532

I just really wonder what kind of cash would most people put out for a quality system if you could afford it.
TREE-FIDDY:thumbsup:
Just bustin' your stones Gus. If I could afford it, I would build a home theater, complete with ticket booth, concession stand and a balcony.
In reality, I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma that I scored for $599 and it does everything a TV is supposed to do very well. I'm still waiting for the right deal on a home theater sound system though.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,435 Posts
I built a cabinet that sourounded an 50" Sony wide screen TV that cost $8000. :eek: For a frik'n TV

Some people :rolleyes:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TREE-FIDDY:thumbsup:
Just bustin' your stones Gus. If I could afford it, I would build a home theater, complete with ticket booth, concession stand and a balcony.
In reality, I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma that I scored for $599 and it does everything a TV is supposed to do very well. I'm still waiting for the right deal on a home theater sound system though.:thumbsup:
$599 Is a little low for this market.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Gus, I have heard people that we have built large homes for spending upwards of $40,000 on home theater equipment. I used to have about $3500 in mine which included big screen TV and audio system with powered subwoofer and 5 speakers. Then nobody watched it much! Now we just have LCD TV and no audio system.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gus, I have heard people that we have built large homes for spending upwards of $40,000 on home theater equipment. I used to have about $3500 in mine which included big screen TV and audio system with powered subwoofer and 5 speakers. Then nobody watched it much! Now we just have LCD TV and no audio system.
It took 2 guys the better part of 2 days to install this electronic stuff after the cabinet. I not sure what they did to get the two elephant trunks of wire in the wall before I arrived.

You have the right idea though.

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Saw a system where the guy had a harddrive that recorded your DVD's. It would hold like a thousand and all you had to do was scroll through menu, find movie and press start. Even a basic setup now a days is so much better than high end stuff from just 10 years ago.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Oddly enough I don't like surround sound. I prefer to have the volume real low and read the movie w/ the closed captioning or subtitles. Anybody else do that? I like quiet time.

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
We paid about $700 for a 42" flatscreen about a year ago. We upgraded from an older TV that we had forever. I wasnt really that excited to be dropping $700 on a TV because to me, a TV is a TV... I was WRONG. with the HD cable this TV blows me away. Totally worth it. I would go as high as $1000.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oddly enough I don't like surround sound. I prefer to have the volume real low and read the movie w/ the closed captioning or subtitles. Anybody else do that? I like quiet time.
Nah, never happen here. I can't sound the words out fast enough.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,435 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,435 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts