Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure I belong in the Contractor's Chatroom being just a lowly DIYer but do I really need to use high heat paint for hot water baseboard heaters? The spray paint I've found is also suitable for painting wood stoves which seems a little extreme to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
As far as I know your standard Oil based paint is rated up to about 350 degrees. Hi-Heat paints are only needed for (like you said) painting a woodburning stove and the like. A normal Oil based metal primer and oil paint should work for the amount of heat kicked out by a baseboard register.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IF the registers are just hot water base any latex paint will be fine. IF they are electric- you need hiigh heat paint. We painted all electric bases in a house at the homeowners request, and the next year I got a call that all of the paint was peeling. You asked a good question- I have been around awhile, and never knew there was a difference in heaters. I have painted all of my hot water base with the wall color which is a latex matte finish and no problem-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts