Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Install 240v 20a recep. Cut cord and install matching cap.

Done.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wont that give me 240 volts line to line not line to neutral as the diagram shows?

Tom

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
If it's hooked to an energized line, it won't be the neutral.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The diagram shows it needs a neutral…(and a ground)(and a 230 volt line)

Tom

·
Registered
GC
201 Posts
This vid explains what a neutral is.

Basically, a neutral limits the circuit to half the phase. You need the whole phase to get 230v potential in the US. Two hots.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried…..

Was looking to drive more traffic to this slow area of the forum. I knew 480 would answer, was hoping a few others would join in.

It’s been wired since last Friday, haven’t replaced the plug yet.

I was planning to argue this out for at least 20 posts…..

Tom

Attachments

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
Was looking to drive more traffic to this slow area of the forum. I knew 480 would answer, was hoping a few others would join in.
If inner10 was still visiting, he would argue with you about it.

So, that's an Italian saw, what's it do make fettuccine? 🤔

Or just a bunch of saw dust?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If inner10 was still visiting, he would argue with you about it.

So, that's an Italian saw, what's it do make fettuccine? 🤔

Or just a bunch of saw dust?
Hopefully it cuts wood with minimal dust.

Tom

·
Registered
302 Posts
The diagram shows it needs a neutral…(and a ground)(and a 230 volt line)
Tom
And shows the neutral connected to ground. Is that a diagram of the machine internal wiring or a diagram of the required external connection? Big difference. If it's the machine, I don't see a way to connect it without a transformer. If it's a diagram of the required external connection, no issue.
Also the volts, amps and power on the label don't quite add up, but manufacturers sometimes take liberties with those.

Edit: The other irony is that it's labeled US Model but comes with a Euro plug and rated 230V. So what exactly is US about it?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I just can't wait to hear if the table is flat and in plane all the way across, and perpendicular to the fence, which is also supposed to be in plane with it self from one end to the other.
All features that seem to be lacking in every miter saw I've ever purchased.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And shows the neutral connected to ground. Is that a diagram of the machine internal wiring or a diagram of the required external connection? Big difference. If it's the machine, I don't see a way to connect it without a transformer. If it's a diagram of the required external connection, no issue.
Also the volts, amps and power on the label don't quite add up, but manufacturers sometimes take liberties with those.

Edit: The other irony is that it's labeled US Model but comes with a Euro plug and rated 230V. So what exactly is US about it?
60 Hz wound motor.

They diagram is to the service panel.

What I understand is they all come with the EU standard plug, it’s what they have at the factory on the cord. The US division usually cuts the plug off before it ships. This one got shipped with the plug. I knew what needed to be done long before I posted this.

I did suggest to the US division’s service department there should be a note in the schematic that says “US model L1, L2”, then the ground symbol.

Tom

Tom

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Well, you've conceded it needs 240 volts.... to ground. Ain't gonna find that here on this side of the pond. Tell 'em to sell the thing for scrap and buy something made in the USA.

I tried. Guess I need to quit responding to electrical questions here again.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, you've conceded it needs 240 volts.... to ground. Ain't gonna find that here on this side of the pond. Tell 'em to sell the thing for scrap and buy something made in the USA.

To start with it’s mine. No need to sell it.

Read the entire thread, I started this to shake the cobwebs off this section of the forum.

It will run just fine, L1, L2.

I could run it with a step up transformer 230 to neutral.

Tom

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
This vid explains what a neutral is.

Basically, a neutral limits the circuit to half the phase. You need the whole phase to get 230v potential in the US. Two hots.
Im pretty sure Tom knows what a neutral is. 😗

He‘s quite knowledgeable about electrical. Used to be the electrical Mod at JLC. 👍

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts

So I’ve never tried this, but I was talking to the guys on the MH forum about possible uses for a high leg, and one of them has stated that 230/240v L-L or L-N will be the same as far as a motor is concerned.

In other words, you could wire the same motor to standard 240v single phase, or 240v delta high leg-to-neutral, and it would function the same.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I’ve never tried this, but I was talking to the guys on the MH forum about possible uses for a high leg, and one of them has stated that 230/240v L-L or L-N will be the same as far as a motor is concerned.

In other words, you could wire the same motor to standard 240v single phase, or 240v delta high leg-to-neutral, and it would function the same.
In this case, L-L or high leg to N will work just fine.

I do have one piece of equipment that has a warning label on it not to run high leg to N for the 240 volts in. I believe it’s because of the digital controller.

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts