Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What new industry is Obama talking about when he says he's going to create new industry for the 21st century? Does he really think the average Joe can afford a $100,000.00 roof/ land mounted solar system? What is this opportunity he speaks of and how do you see the electrical industry benefiting from new clean energy?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
You get to install all this new crap for the rich people who can afford it.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
What new industry is Obama talking about when he says he's going to create new industry for the 21st century? Does he really think the average Joe can afford a $100,000.00 roof/ land mounted solar system? What is this opportunity he speaks of and how do you see the electrical industry benefiting from new clean energy?
As the cost of PV systems comes down it will become more afordable to more and more people. Remember the USB flash drives that came out a couple of years ago. When they were first intorduced they cost abour 100 bucks for a 50 meg chip. Now you can get a 2 gig chip for about 15 bucks. the same will hapen with PV's. There is a company right now that is capable of producing PV cells for about a buck a watt. Current installed prices are running 7-9 a watt installed. Currently they are only producing panels for the utility industry but it is only a matter of time.

You get to install all this new crap for the rich people who can afford it.
Leo this is not necessarily true. I sell thermal and PV solar for a company in Maryland. Average 4 person system retails for about 8500 dollars
Take 30% off for the federal tax credit grants from the state at 2500 and a maximum property tax credit of 2500 from the county and this stuff only nets out at about 1900 dollars. depending on hot water useage it will save you about 40-60 a month Typical payback is 4-7 years and system lifespan is 25-30 years.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
Leo this is not necessarily true. I sell thermal and PV solar for a company in Maryland. Average 4 person system retails for about 8500 dollars
Take 30% off for the federal tax credit grants from the state at 2500 and a maximum property tax credit of 2500 from the county and this stuff only nets out at about 1900 dollars. depending on hot water useage it will save you about 40-60 a month Typical payback is 4-7 years and system lifespan is 25-30 years.

Even better, you can install it for poor people too.:party:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
What makes you think that?

I made and installed my own solar panels 14 years ago. After a few years I got some real ones after a friend wanted them off his roof. They worked well for about 9 years and then sprung a leak. I fixed that and a few year later I had a second leak and I never fixed it. I use to save about 3/8 of a tank of oil in the summer and probably a little less in the winter. It was just the potable water system, no heating.

But not a tree hugger. I cut'm down and make stuff.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
What makes you think that?

I made and installed my own solar panels 14 years ago. After a few years I got some real ones after a friend wanted them off his roof. They worked well for about 9 years and then sprung a leak. I fixed that and a few year later I had a second leak and I never fixed it. I use to save about 3/8 of a tank of oil in the summer and probably a little less in the winter. It was just the potable water system, no heating.
average oil tank 250 gallons x3/8= 94 gallons add say half again for the winter and another half for spring and fall =182 gallons How much is heating oil in the NE about $3 a gallon x182= $546 a year. for each gallon of fuel you burn you produce about 35 pounds of c02 35x 182= 6370 pounds of c02

[/quote]
But not a tree hugger. I cut'm down and make stuff.[/quote]

And what you make is damm good

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
average oil tank 250 gallons x3/8= 94 gallons add say half again for the winter and another half for spring and fall =182 gallons How much is heating oil in the NE about $3 a gallon x182= $546 a year. for each gallon of fuel you burn you produce about 35 pounds of c02 35x 182= 6370 pounds of c02
But not a tree hugger. I cut'm down and make stuff.[/quote]

And what you make is damm good[/QUOTE]

Too bad it doesn't work anymore.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
But that would mean I would have to work on my own home

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
I try to make it happen as little as possible. Only when the wife keeps yapping at me. But eventually I need to take care of two roof sections over my front and rear porches. The rear porch has the panels on it. I will remove them and toss'm. It was a fun experiment, but now it is just an eyesore.

Google Earth sees it

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I can say today is these liberals need to put their wallets where their mouths are and pay for these upgrades.

I can't wait for a green customer to invite me into their home to upgrade to green then stop short of ripping out all their old recessed lights and changing to fluorescent based cans based on cost.

Damn hypocrites.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
All I can say today is these liberals need to put their wallets where their mouths are and pay for these upgrades.

I can't wait for a green customer to invite me into their home to upgrade to green then stop short of ripping out all their old recessed lights and changing to fluorescent based cans based on cost.

Damn hypocrites.
The Chinese don't see it
that way.
Just wait, and you can buy all
of it from them.
That'll be a better deal, we won't
all get distracted from our core
industry......
selling each other MacBurgers. :thumbsup:

Reactions: s.kelly

·
ampman
783 Posts

Damn hypocrites.
they will pay for it with our tax dollars:furious:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts