Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about putting together a chest of drawers to keep a supply general carpentry nails on hand. I'm thinking of having a drawer for each type of nail(Brights, Sinkers, HDG, etc.) and having compartments within each drawer for the different sizes commonly used. Question becomes what sizes and types on nails do I build the campartments for.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Sinkers: 4d, 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Brights: 4d, 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
HDG: 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Finish: 2d, 3d, 4d, 5d 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Roofing: 1" - 2 1/2" by 1/4" sizes

Reactions: Buildernick

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Depends on what you are doing I guess. I don't hand drive much of anything, but the odd sinker helps now and again. Anything else I can peel off a 3 1/4" or a 2 3/8" gun nail.

I always keep a handful of 16d duplex in my belt when I am framing. They seem to come in handy more than any other size; bracing and squaring, temporary posts etc.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plan is for this to be a cabinet for in my shop. I end up doing a bit of everything so a variety of types and sizes of nails are useful. I handnail most things unless I've got a real lot of nails to put in.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,193 Posts
Well, there's a a tough question to answer. I keep a relatively small organizer I bring with me doing repairs, remodels with various nails and screws I commonly use. Some exterior, some interior use. I'm assuming your looking to organize the leftover nails, or have your own stock on hand to work from.

I didn't see that you had any provisions for aluminum, ring shank, box, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sinkers: 4d, 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Brights: 4d, 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
HDG: 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Finish: 2d, 3d, 4d, 5d 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d, 16d, 20d
Roofing: 1" - 2 1/2" by 1/4" sizes
I've only been doing this for about twelve years, but I've never used at least half of those flavors.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Well, there's a a tough question to answer. I keep a relatively small organizer I bring with me doing repairs, remodels with various nails and screws I commonly use. Some exterior, some interior use. I'm assuming your looking to organize the leftover nails, or have your own stock on hand to work from.

I didn't see that you had any provisions for aluminum, ring shank, box, etc.
We just had a good discussion of nails..... but I've forgotton, what is the diff between a sinker and a box nail, except for the glue/vinyle coating......

both are less diameter than a common...... and are not they both a little shorter than a common?

For instance isn't a 16 sinker and box both 131 diameter and 3 1/4 long... just the sinker has a glue coating?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We just had a good discussion of nails..... but I've forgotton, what is the diff between a sinker and a box nail, except for the glue/vinyle coating......

both are less diameter than a common...... and are not they both a little shorter than a common?

For instance isn't a 16 sinker and box both 131 diameter and 3 1/4 long... just the sinker has a glue coating?
Sinker has a textured head as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The plan is for this to be a cabinet for in my shop. I end up doing a bit of everything so a variety of types and sizes of nails are useful. I handnail most things unless I've got a real lot of nails to put in.
If it's for your shop build it for as many sizes and types as you can. It really shouldn't take up that much space. Hell, metal shelves with little plastic bins and you can fit 2 handfuls of pretty much every nail and screw you could possibly use.

Also, however many bins you think you need, triple it, you will end up filling them.

Or just put the half opened boxes on some shelves, that's what I do. Starts to look like the Market Basket version of a hardware store...

·
Registered
Remodel
30,193 Posts

Box nails are narrower versions of commons to prevent splitting, sinkers aren't:

16d sinker 3 1/4 long, .148 diameter, .344 countersunk head
16d box 3 1/2 long, .135 diameter, .344 flat head
16d common 3 1/2 long, .162 diameter, .344 flat head

·
Registered
Remodel
30,193 Posts
For hand drives exterior, I use a fair number of ring shank 316 stainless steel in various sizes. Shingle nails, siding nails, ...

I also have some specialty nails, like copper roofing nails.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Box nails are narrower versions of commons to prevent splitting, sinkers aren't:

16d sinker 3 1/4 long, .148 diameter, .344 countersunk head
16d box 3 1/2 long, .135 diameter, .344 flat head
16d common 3 1/2 long, .162 diameter, .344 flat head
Thanks hd..... I'll rephrase that, no insult intended....Thanks hdavis;)

I'm not near my nail cartons, but that would explain it.... that there are three diameters in play.....

but I could of sworn that my 16 sinkers were 131 (could be 135 as I could easily mis-remember that).... I'll check next time I look.

Best

Peter

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts