Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a good gas operated nailer? What features set one apart from another?
My sewer crew doesn't do much nailing. When we do it's almost always in an extremely time sensitive situation, in an awkward workspace and involving unstable and irregeular pieces. Driving a handful of 10 or 12 penny nails can take an eternity. Being able to nail something together in 2 minutes instead of 6 minutes might literally save us 4 or 5 hours worth of work. I was thinking that a gas operated nailer is a tool that would really be worth its weight in gold. Feedback please.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rick, We use the Paslode "Impulse" gas nailer. Works well, plenty of power. Only thing when used "infrequently", tends to gum up. Just keep it clean and use it once and awhile. Should work great for what you will use it for.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like PorterCable. They were recommended to me by my B-in-Law and I have had virtually no problems. You should see some of the framing nailers, they look like someone dragged them home behind the truck. I don't know what the guys do with them.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out Paslode was the only manufacturer of a gas powered framing nailer. Dewalt makes an electric finish nailer. I bought a model IMCT, fuel cell powered, cordless framing nailer. It's supposed to drive about 1200 clip-head nails on a $7.00 fuel cell. That's probably more nails than I'll drive in 2 years. Cool tool!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a paslode gas 18 nailer was exspensive but worth its wate in gold. Us it all around. takes 5/8 to 2 in nails. The gas seames to last forever about 1000 nails. $40 buckes for 4 gases.Good Buy!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay In Chicago said:
It has that odor like somebody passed a lode of gas
LOL - without forced air ventilation, many of the spaces we work in would smell like that all the time :cheesygri

We just had to install several hunderd feet of 4 ft. high, filter cloth over hardware cloth, sediment control barrier. The detail specified that the cloth and wire mesh hang on 2 x 4 posts with a 2 x 4 toprail. The Paslode nailer turned what would otherwise have been a very awkward task into something we could do incidentally. It was well worth the expense.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I've also been looking at Compressors and Framing nailers. It seems to me I'd spend around $500. to $600 for a half decent set. These Paslods are $350. It sure seems like the way to go. No compressor to lug and for the price I could almost get 2. What are the drawbacks of the Paslode? Nails more expensive? Breakdowns more costly? I won't be using a framing nailer all day every day but on basement remodels it could sure beat swinging a hammer all day :Thumbs:

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Paul
I love my Paslode. I have both the framing and finish nailers. The framing nailer is sequential, so its a bit slower that an air tool - can't hold the trigger down and nail on contact. But, no compressor and no hose to lug around, a real plus when working on ladders, or in tight quarters. Also, nail capacity is not as great. Probably not the tool of choice for a framing contractor, but good for light to moderate framing needs IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you can wait til mid-summer...Max USA will have a new gas gun out. If you can't wait get the paslode...hope it is warm where you are because they are horrible in bad weather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you buy a paslode just make sure to use paslode nails other companies make nails to fit paslode but I tend to have problems with the nails feeding properly, I can shoot one nail then have to manually tap the load handle forward. I don't have that problem when using paslode brand just the others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts