Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum, so good to meet y'all! I do have a question, and would be very grateful for your input! :thumbup:

In addition to the obvious answer that you love the product or company that you are referring and you want to help that person discover how awesome it is, what motivates you to refer it to that person?

Is it a certain % off your next order? Or is it a % off the order for the person you are giving the referral to? Or both? Is it a cash reward? Is it free products? Is it a special, personal thank you gift? Is it promised exposure of your own company/self on the referred's website? Is it the knowledge that the person you refer the product/company to will be eternally grateful to you?

I appreciate any and all answers, and any referral reward experiences y'all have to relate! I know for myself I would lean towards a personal gift that shows that the company is more about thanking me personally and less about strictly business, but I'm curious to see other answers/reasoning out there!

·
Punching above his weight
12,601 Posts
I agree with the personal gift. I want it to be personal too. Don't just send me a nice bottle of wine and think that's going to impress me. I want a note with the bottle and it better be heartfelt.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I refer other contractors to customers (or someone who calls for something I don't offer or don't want to do) because I like to help, it helps them by knowing they are getting someone good and it helps the other contractor get more business leads. I never have asked and don't accept anything for this...don't think I've been offered anything but have gotten a ton of work reciprocated back to me.

·
Vendor
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, guys! Looks like consensus has the product or company's excellence as the best motivation for a referral, but that a personal thank you is a nice extra.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
Good customer support, I.e. Prompt call backs, honoring contracts, just generally knowing they are trying to give me the best experience they can offer.

If I wanted someone to kiss my ass I'd go to a whore house, giving me a gift is trying to buy my loyalty, if you suck, I'll take the gift but you'll still be one client less with me telling people not to use you. Gifts are dumb as adults... I'm a big boy I can buy what I want unless you want to buy me a boat, then I'll refer the **** out of your company.

Mamba 350. Starts around 207k, I'll take care of the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I enthusiastically refer people or products that are awesome. That's all it takes. Be awesome. Giving me a gift is irrelevant to whether or not I refer you to someone else.
I think awesome is a good word in this context.
Be Awesome

If you are the kind of guy who prides yourself on doing good work at a fair price-------- I am probably NOT going to refer people to you.
Why should I?----------- there are PLENTY of people who do good work at a fair price.

Return phone calls?, solid work?,promptness?, fair pricing?---------------------------- so what?- those things should be a given-those things are a bare minimum a customer should expect from anyone.

But awesome?-- that's something I can rave about!

Stephen

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I would have to agree with the awesomeness.. not be cliché but if they have that "X Factor" I'll never stop talking about them.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Consistency----dependable-----prompt-----respectful---those are the qualities I seek---and why I suggest a supplier or tradesman to another person.

A thank you is nice from a supplier---I dealt with one that sent me tickets to the Cubs once a year----It's good to be thanked---but I would never recommend anyone that did not have my respect first----

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum, so good to meet y'all! I do have a question, and would be very grateful for your input! :thumbup:

In addition to the obvious answer that you love the product or company that you are referring and you want to help that person discover how awesome it is, what motivates you to refer it to that person?

Is it a certain % off your next order? Or is it a % off the order for the person you are giving the referral to? Or both? Is it a cash reward? Is it free products? Is it a special, personal thank you gift? Is it promised exposure of your own company/self on the referred's website? Is it the knowledge that the person you refer the product/company to will be eternally grateful to you?

I appreciate any and all answers, and any referral reward experiences y'all have to relate! I know for myself I would lean towards a personal gift that shows that the company is more about thanking me personally and less about strictly business, but I'm curious to see other answers/reasoning out there!
I base this on the person I am dealing with... I don't care about gifts, or discounts... I deal with a company because of the service theirs salesman provide, his personality, and his professional approach to my needs.

I will give you an example, I was dealing with a certain lumber yard when I started doing my first 10 house development. The sales guy was up my A$$ stopping by 3 times a week, buying coffee, this and that... After the job was completed, I did a few spot built homes and when I needed something small now you can't get the guy, he don't return calls, and when he does he screws something up.
I started to built a 22 home development and he is back kissing A$$, and as fast as he came, as fast he got a kick in the A$$. Then the sales manager came begging to sell and I did the same to him and I started to deal with a different company and I still have the same salesman for almost 20 years now.

Its about doing the right thing and taking care of people you working for... other then that, the gifts and everything else will come on its own.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
This will be a paraphrased repeat of what everyone else said above, but here goes.....

I don't care if you buy me a car, I wont put MY neck out for you unless you do good work and/or provide good service.

If you do that, I'll spread your good name to everyone I run into (that might need your service).

If you provide bad service or work to me, well I'll just have to spread that around too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I motivate about the product only when i find it out that the product has provided me a satisfaction to my problem and thus thats what one need to do instead of buying product that you don't know about its better to by a refferal product which has caused some one a relief to their problem

·
Registered
156 Posts
The big ones to me are:
1. They provide Personal service _they do something to enhance my business, they educate me on new products/techniques, give me special privileges such as meeting me early or late to pick up materials, they visit my jobsite. They may give me a small tool or throw in something free on an order. They go out of their way for me after hours or on the week end. They spend time informing me of things of importance in the industry. Take me to lunch or tickets to games.
2. Recommends me for work!:clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts