Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the people that are business owners here, I am wondering what the license requirements are in the state you people are working ? Do you carry a State License ? A City License where you do a job ? Are you a member of the Better Business Bureau too?
Certainly some people here work for the individuals that hold the papers but for the others how does this work ?

Interesting Subject Matter

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You start with your state and see if there is a state wide license requirement. Then go to county, then to city.

In Colorado there is no state wide license requirement for GC. You go to the city for their requirements.

These vary from City of Denver - a written test, proof of experience, fee, gets you a license to GC in City of Denver.

City of Littleton - written test, no proof of experience, fee, gets you license to work within city limits.

Outside city limits of Littleton, you default to the county of Jefferson. Their requirements - submit the plan, pay the building permit fee, you are able to work, no license required.

Every city and county differs. The county right next to Jefferson is Douglas county. They require a license. To get it you pay a fee. They issue the license.

This applies only to GC. For electrcians and plumbers there is a state license requirement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here for HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical, you must hold a Block Masters License to work on your own (as a single proprietor or larger). Almost all of the 105 counties here use the States zoning and permit requiremnets as set forth by UMC, UPC, and UEC. In order to get a city business license, county license, and pull permits for work performed, you must have that Block Masters. We are even required on all advertising, letterheads, business cards, invoices, vans, trucks etc to display our license numbers. To be a service tech and work solo, you must have your Block Journeymans license. If you are unlicensed, you must have either a Journeyman or Master working with you on the property you are working (meaning if it was an apartment complex job, you could work alone in Apt. 112 as long as the other was working somewhere on that property as well). Some cities even issue their own licenses to work within their city limits. Meaning you could have a XYZ county license but some cities in XYZ county all require you purchase their license as well in order to work in their city limits even though you are licensed for the whole county. It can be enough to make you pull your hair out sometimes around here.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a Fact HVAC !!!

HVAC Doc said:
Here for HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical, you must hold a Block Masters License to work on your own (as a single proprietor or larger). Almost all of the 105 counties here use the States zoning and permit requiremnets as set forth by UMC, UPC, and UEC. In order to get a city business license, county license, and pull permits for work performed, you must have that Block Masters. We are even required on all advertising, letterheads, business cards, invoices, vans, trucks etc to display our license numbers. To be a service tech and work solo, you must have your Block Journeymans license. If you are unlicensed, you must have either a Journeyman or Master working with you on the property you are working (meaning if it was an apartment complex job, you could work alone in Apt. 112 as long as the other was working somewhere on that property as well). Some cities even issue their own licenses to work within their city limits. Meaning you could have a XYZ county license but some cities in XYZ county all require you purchase their license as well in order to work in their city limits even though you are licensed for the whole county. It can be enough to make you pull your hair out sometimes around here.
I would tend to agree with you on the hair issue !!!
If any of you guys are interested in this license issue across the country,
I found this:
www.contractors-license.org/

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
In GA you must hold a state license for plumbing, electrical, hvac and low voltage, but only have to have 1 business license to work anywhere in the state. I don't beleive there is a license for GC, but must have a business license where ever your business is locayed

·
Registered
386 Posts
That is just Amazing !!!
I find it hard to believe it doesnt take a license to be a GC.If you say so...Ok :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Heres one for you Spectatorz....

In the state of Michigan, we have a general contactors license for maintenance and alterations, a residential builders license, and licences for each specialty (roofing, siding, painting, etc). Each only requires the passing of a written exam and a fee. That enables you to work any where in the state.
For hvac, elect, plumb; its the same as it is in most states. You have to work throught the apprentice program.

But heres the kicker. All the licenses are requirements for residential work over 600.00 in value. Yet there is no commercial requirements. I had my lawyer actaully check into it for me. Basically what the law says is: If I, a painter, bid a residential paint job for 2000.00, the state would required me to have the Michigan Painting Contractors License (sure). Yet, if I wanted to bid the building of a Home Depot store for the Home Depot company, the state requires no license of me.

Another loophole in the law is for the maintenance and alterations license. If I was to do a remodel for a customer, I could tear down the entire house, and rebuild it, as long as I leave 1 wall standing the entire time, I'm not required to have any license at all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thats Incredible !!!

Painter.Josh said:

In the state of Michigan, we have a general contactors license for maintenance and alterations, a residential builders license, and licences for each specialty (roofing, siding, painting, etc). Each only requires the passing of a written exam and a fee. That enables you to work any where in the state.
For hvac, elect, plumb; its the same as it is in most states. You have to work throught the apprentice program.

But heres the kicker. All the licenses are requirements for residential work over 600.00 in value. Yet there is no commercial requirements. I had my lawyer actaully check into it for me. Basically what the law says is: If I, a painter, bid a residential paint job for 2000.00, the state would required me to have the Michigan Painting Contractors License (sure). Yet, if I wanted to bid the building of a Home Depot store for the Home Depot company, the state requires no license of me.

Another loophole in the law is for the maintenance and alterations license. If I was to do a remodel for a customer, I could tear down the entire house, and rebuild it, as long as I leave 1 wall standing the entire time, I'm not required to have any license at all.
Interesting facts there Painter Josh.
With states having these levels of qualifications for a Build and what not,
that explains how many people wonder why in our state (California) education and training are a requirement for a license to perform legally.
It seems in many states there is only minimal requirements...
Thanks for Your Time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Virginia has 3 classes of contractors license, Class A, Class B, and Class C.

As I recall.....

Class A; Allows you to contract jobs over $70,000.00
Class B; Allows you to contract jobs over $7,500.00, but no more than $70,000.00
Class C; Allows you to contract jobs over $1000.00 but no more than $7,500.00

Theirs no state requirement for jobs less than $1000.00

For A and B you must pass a written exam, no exam for Class C, and you must have at least one representitive from your company with at least 2 years experience in your proffesion in order to hold a contractors license.

All licenses are good for 2 years.

You can get a contractors license for all of the generally know proffesions, HVAC, Plumbing, Carprentry, Electrical, General Construction and even Home Improvement.

They also have a multitude of specialty licenses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
license issues - VA

I've seen the NC post, but does anybody know if you can do maintenance and repairs on HVAC in VA without specialty license? The NC law is contradicting, and I assume the VA law is, also.....would like a state employee to post as the NC people did.

:clap::whistling

·
Owner
975 Posts

Okay, that's it. I'm moving to Michigan.:thumbup:

Linda

1 - 12 of 12 Posts