Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a roofer and need a small, light weight circular saw that cuts siding. The one we have (7 1/4) is heavy, too big, and hard to get into small places. Primarily this is used on a re-roof where the siding is too close to the roof to properly flash for metal roofing.
Thanx, metalroofer.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
metalroofer said:
I'm a roofer and need a small, light weight circular saw that cuts siding. The one we have (7 1/4) is heavy, too big, and hard to get into small places. Primarily this is used on a re-roof where the siding is too close to the roof to properly flash for metal roofing.
Thanx, metalroofer.
I have a small (I forget if it's 4" or 4 1/2") Porter-Cable circular saw, - - great little saw, lightweight, accurate, dependable, - - but actually, if I'm understanding your situation right, - - I would generally use a hand-held grinder with a diamond blade for that application, - - lighter yet and easier to 'see' where you're cutting, also less chance for 'shattering' cold siding.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, think we'll check on the light weight Porter Cable. You must have a steady hand. If I was to use a hand grinder the the result would look like a rats lunch for sure.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glasshousebltr said:
Makita makes a little skill saw with a 2 or 3 inch blade. Great for cutting siding.

Bob
Hey Glass. Are you showin me a saw or are you just showin me around your place? Nice place BTW! :Thumbs: Met.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Met, you're new. Most of us have seen where he lives. Hot tub full of sawdust and an old Commadore 64 on the bench to do his figgerin' on. The Smithsonian is after him for some of his tools, manly stuff, metal bodies and no 3 prong plugs for ol' Bob. zzzzzzzzttttt!

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teetorbilt said:
You may want to check this out. http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?ref=froogle+page=/a/crain/795_toe_kick_saw.htm

Another idea would be a biscuit cutter.
Biscuit cutter? What a great idea, untill now I've been using a hammer and chisel on my wifes biscuits!

Thanks for link. After looking, the 4 1/2 Porter Cable looks more like it. You know if it didn't have that big bulky handle on it..... then again with no handle, it looks like a hand grinder. Hmmmmm. Looks like Tom R has the right idea after all, now if it only had a shoe. Hey Tom, how are you working at heights? You available when I need a bit of siding cut? ;) Met.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Teetorbilt said:
Met, you're new. Most of us have seen where he lives. Hot tub full of sawdust and an old Commadore 64 on the bench to do his figgerin' on. The Smithsonian is after him for some of his tools, manly stuff, metal bodies and no 3 prong plugs for ol' Bob. zzzzzzzzttttt!
Ah Yes Teetorbilt, I too remember when men were men. I can smell the testosterone! None of this wearing womens clothes like I do while I'm on the roof! Met

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Met, remember that if you can find something that is close, it can always be modified.
One of my favorites is the RotoZip. I have adapters to fit most any blade along with sleds and fixtures to meet specific needs. On most, the setup is; change the blade and tighten 2 hose clamps.
The Mothers of Invention..... sorry, that's Zappa but you get the idea.
Young guys, you can Google it.......far out, man.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Met, remember that if you can find something that is close, it can always be modified.
One of my favorites is the RotoZip. I have adapters to fit most any blade along with sleds and fixtures to meet specific needs. On most, the setup is; change the blade and tighten 2 hose clamps.
The Mothers of Invention..... sorry, that's Zappa but you get the idea.
Young guys, you can Google it.......far out, man.

Yeah, - - like Teetor says, - - you can use a Roto-Zip, - - with an attachment called a Zip-Mate, - - about $60, - - comes with a 3" diamond blade, - - turns your Roto-Zip into a right angle grinder, - - you can't beat it for being light and real easy to control, - - it's just that Roto-Zip's never seem to last very long, - - whereas a 4 1/2" Milwalkee grinder or a Porter Cable saw will practically last forever.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
metalroofer said:
Thanks, think we'll check on the light weight Porter Cable. You must have a steady hand. If I was to use a hand grinder the the result would look like a rats lunch for sure.
Actually, - - a grinder is pretty easy to control, - - remember, - - you'd be using a round diamond blade, - - not something 'toothed'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tom R said:
Yeah, - - like Teetor says, - - you can use a Roto-Zip, - - with an attachment called a Zip-Mate, - - about $60, - - comes with a 3" diamond blade, - - turns your Roto-Zip into a right angle grinder, - - you can't beat it for being light and real easy to control, - - it's just that Roto-Zip's never seem to last very long, - - whereas a 4 1/2" Milwalkee grinder or a Porter Cable saw will practically last forever.
Dremel makes a similar product that cuts quite well and last a good while. At least i havent had any problems out of mine. Seeing that computer nerds use dremels to cut through mod-computer cases with excellent accuracy im sure a lil flashing, etc would be a piece of cake :cheesygri

·
Registered
83 Posts
Id say perhaps a Jamb Saw. You can adjust the blade height for a nice even cut all the way down. Most of them look pretty much like a cross breed of a circular saw and an angle grinder. Ive been checking into them myself for cutting (obviously) door jambs and doors...I dont see why one wouldnt work for the application you describe.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Buy the cheapest throw-away saw you can find. I always liked Makita. Lightweight, ergonomic design puts your hand at the push behind a rip. Invest in a good blade and see if that helps.

I'm partial to the worm-gear saw. Heavy, rugged, dampened cut off and the blade is on my view. But I'm a form-carpenter at heart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JBarnesIII said:
Dremel makes a similar product that cuts quite well and last a good while. At least i havent had any problems out of mine. Seeing that computer nerds use dremels to cut through mod-computer cases with excellent accuracy im sure a lil flashing, etc would be a piece of cake :cheesygri

Crasftsman makes a sim. product that is better made and lots cheeper. 60.$ gets you the whole setup including the grinder head and a flex shaft tool. I have had mine for a year now and have had no problems with it I use it all the time, from trimming tile to cutting bricks ( one or two ) and even doing drywall cut outs. it is a fun tool.

:Thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts