Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to tap into this for a water supply line to a refrigerator in a garage. Closest thing to this I can think of is PEX. But does anyone know what this is? Maybe I can find the same thing.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inner10 said:
Wirsbo/Uponor.
Yeah that's what I figured after a little more research. It didn't look like regular PEX when I saw it up close, the Wirsbo Aquapex you're supposed to expand it then let it shrink around the fitting or use Sharkbites.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember when I did lots of framing, one builder was using PEX in every single tract home. One plumber told me PEX had a history of the valves failing or something like that. Does anyone know how they fail or which parts to watch out for? This stuff can be nice because you can easily turn a carpenter into a plumber with PEX and Sharkbite fittings. Not sure how much I want to rely on it though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I remember when I did lots of framing, one builder was using PEX in every single tract home. One plumber told me PEX had a history of the valves failing or something like that. Does anyone know how they fail or which parts to watch out for? This stuff can be nice because you can easily turn a carpenter into a plumber with PEX and Sharkbite fittings. Not sure how much I want to rely on it though.
Nothing wrong with PEX.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing wrong with pex. It's the quick connect fittings that are the issue. They are not design for concealed installation. The pex crimp connections are fine though.
Are you talking about Sharkbites? I've yet to see one leak. The Wirsbo PEX uses an expansion tool instead of crimp connectors for the fittings. Wouldn't be worth buying the tool though unless you were going to be installing it a lot.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
KennMacMoragh said:
Are you talking about Sharkbites? I've yet to see one leak. The Wirsbo PEX uses an expansion tool instead of crimp connectors for the fittings. Wouldn't be worth buying the tool though unless you were going to be installing it a lot.
I been using "sharkbites" for about 10+ years now. Seen my fair share of issues with that style of fitting. The orings have a life expectancy of 15years. That may have increased since 6 years ago when I last went to one of the shows they held but 15 years ain't long. a lot of people have also installed them incorrectly and there's prob hundreds of thousands of orings about ready to fail from not using a pipe slice.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Condensate line for hvac??? Not sure why else a plumber would ever run pipes through an attic....
It's going to an outdoor hose bib, easier than running through the wall I guess. I'm glad it is in the attic so I can access it, it's broke a few times is why the heat trace is installed.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The expansion tool will pay for its self in a hurry unless it was tapping one water line off for a refrigerator in a garage...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've seen sharkbites leak when they were installed on rough copper pipe, like cut with a sawzall rough. I also have a couple sharkbite caps that I keep around in case I unexpectedly find out that I've cut into a pipe that's not completely shut off. They have been reused a bunch of times and they leak a little, but that's okay because they are just a quick and temporary bandaid. I've never seen pex itself leak, and I've never seen a sharkbite on pex leak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts