Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me what kind of floor this is? I've done work in this house, & had to take up a few pieces by the door where tile are going down.
I thought I knew my woods better, but cant put my finger on it.

Wood flooring Wood Hardwood Floor Flooring

Wood flooring Floor Hardwood Wood Flooring

Wood flooring Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring

wondering if its possibly hickory.
It was put down in a late 60's early 70's ranch style house.
Its 3/4" thick t&g with "arkansas floor co" stamped on the back.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
cabin grade swamp white oak would be my best guess. There's a lot of swamp white in southern MO, northern Ark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cabin grade Swamp white oak? That makes it sound like its junk:) and here I was thinking it was expensive, lol we have white oak around here but it looks nothing like this, must be different oaks down there.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
cabin grade Swamp white oak? That makes it sound like its junk:) and here I was thinking it was expensive, lol we have white oak around here but it looks nothing like this, must be different oaks down there.
It's considered very low grade, even though I think it's got a pretty cool rustic look. Swamp white grows well in wet areas but doesn't have much straight, clear grain. AS in the flooring pictured, it has lots of mineral lines.

One way way to tell is by the smell. Swamp white stinks like stale pisss. ;)

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
It's considered very low grade, even though I think it's got a pretty cool rustic look. Swamp white grows well in wet areas but doesn't have much straight, clear grain. AS in the flooring pictured, it has lots of mineral lines.

One way way to tell is by the smell. Swamp white stinks like stale pisss. ;)
Thats because we piss on it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hickory or a Dark shade of maple. I have the exact grain pattern in my personal home. Though lighter in shade than what you have, mine is maple. When layin mine near 20 years ago, I clearly remember culling out some dark boards that looked exactly that shade. If possible, you may want to find a local hardwood supplier that sells cabinet grade lumber, take your piece and see exactly what you have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the input, despite this floors age, I really dont mind the look of it, its a solid 3/4" hardwood floor that been covered with carpet for years. After doing a little looking I noticed it had also survived a fire in the basement below as the bottomside of the subfloor (3/4" boards ran at a 45deg) underneath was badly charred but the top remained almost perfect with only 1 minor burn mark along the wall.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
I think you guys calling it maple may actually be right. One thing that was bugging me about my thinking it was oak, was I wasn't seeing the oak grain when I blew up the pics. Coloring it right, but on the grain.

I've never seen that grade of maple flooring around here, but the grain in some of the boards does look like maple.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I dunno, my knee jerk was soft maple due to the fact that I spotted what looked like a beetle hole with staining around it that looks identical to the beetle holes I find in some of my soft maple. Ambrosia Beetle or whatever. The really dark boards through that idea off for me...I haven't used maple that dark. However the maple I use comes from PA and VA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_beetle

But i don't know if they only go in maple or if they do other wood as well. The wiki article says they don't care which tree.

Can you get a close and clear photo of the floor? Something to show the grain better?

This is what I picture for a "rustic maple" floor.

Ambrosia Maple (Wormy/Beetle Maple)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some more pictures close up. I tried to show the detail of the wood grain. Around here, there is actually quite a few very old victorian style houses with regular maple and a few with birdseye maple & heartmaple. I thought I knew my floors, but with this one, im scratching my head wondering.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Wood flooring Plywood

Wood Hardwood Floor Wood stain Plywood

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Wood flooring Floor

Wood Floor Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

Water Wood Hardwood Wood stain Floor

1 - 20 of 31 Posts