Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so finally getting around to my own deck. I only do maybe 5 a year all with azek and there is no way im spending that kinda money. All the other composites look like crap and I really like the look of wood and need to keep the cost down. So crappy Pt or what are the pros and cons of mahogany and cedar?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
PT isn't worth the time. I'd use cedar every time over PT. Mahogany usually refers to meranti or another species that's not actually mahogany. It looks nice but I'm not a big fan of the way it moves and it's lack of rot resistance.

Depending on where you are you might be able to get Massaranduba or Garapa for a similar price to the Meranti.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont mind staining/oil does one tend to last longer between coatings?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
Garapa would be a good price point.
Thats nice stuff! Convenient rain or did you get the hose out?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think the 'timbertech' "terrain" line is a great value for the dollar.
I like Meranti as an alternative to cedar. In my area, the cedar decking quality has just been getting worse and worse. Meranti prices went low last year. It's decent stuff imo.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Broke down and went with Trex select shall see how it holds up

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
It wasn't last year. I haven't check the prices this year but Garapa was 40% less than Azek last year. Installation materials are about the same. Ipe and Zuri are the only things I've seen that cost more than Azek.
But when you consider the cost to put a finish on the Garapa, even the initial coats, how does it compare?

·
I like Green things
23,073 Posts
But when you consider the cost to put a finish on the Garapa, even the initial coats, how does it compare?

It's 50 bucks for a gallon of oil and it took about an hour to do that deck.

Going to clean it and hit it again when I go back to put in doors, just cause I like those customers.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts