Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we all have our favorites. I will be in the market for a new framer this spring, so I guess that is what I will watching here the most. But the one I wont go to a job without is my 20oz Estwing, it is either in the truck or my belt.

Whats your favorite/must have?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I mostly use a dalluge 16 oz finish. Its a rock on a stick. I hit things with it. If I need to hit it harder than what i can do with the dalluge it wasnt cut right to begin with.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It depends what I'm doing. For framing I have a Vaughn 23 oz.(I think) California framer, straight handle. Siding I have an Estwing 16 oz. smooth face. I don't know that I have a favorite, I haven't tried 'em all. I like the looks of the new Douglas, would like to hear from someone who has used one.
Several years ago I bought that goofy looking hammer Estwing came out with, never could get used to it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

current daily driver is this 21oz. husky head with magnetic nail starter with a 16" hickory craftsman handle. (the husky framer was $7.88 and the replacement handle was <$5). its perfect.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
As a novelty, I bought one of these several years after Tim Allen's show "Home Improvement" ended production. I think it was an Ace Hardware store in DeSoto, Texas and it was on closeout for about $5. I liked it so much, I went back and bought every one they had. I think it was 8 of the small hammers (approximately 14 oz.) and 3 waffle face framing hammers (20 oz. ?). I haven't broken or lost any of them. They're actually made by Hart.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Summer
-16oz titanium head stiletto with hickory handle
-14oz titanium head stiletto with hickory handle
i find the wooden handle is nice then the tibone.

in the winter it is a the 15oz tibone. the grip is nice, yes i could tape the wood or put an air grip on but then it is too fat, especially with gloves on.

but hands down stiletto hammers are my favourite
i think people who say they dont like them need to try again, or are in denial that someone else has one and they dont. why would you swing a 28oz estwing when you can swing a stiletto.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
who says a 28 oz. estwing is the only alternative? although I did swing a 28 for a few months last year to intentionally build my arm up then went back to a 22.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
The "ping" of an Estwing is unbearable.

My Stiletto framer is like swinging a marshmallow on a stick (my Stiletto trim hammer is the cats pajamas though).

My all-time favorite framing hammer was my Craftsmen 26oz. w/ a hickory handle. I felt much like Thor must have. But that was back when we actually framed a house with hammers and huge pouches filled with nails.....8's, 10's, and coolers.....not clips.

I now live with a Vaughn Cali....but let's be honest, the framing hammer is past it's prime. I use it so rarely that I have to go search for it the three times a year I need it.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Summer
-16oz titanium head stiletto with hickory handle
-14oz titanium head stiletto with hickory handle
i find the wooden handle is nice then the tibone.

in the winter it is a the 15oz tibone. the grip is nice, yes i could tape the wood or put an air grip on but then it is too fat, especially with gloves on.

but hands down stiletto hammers are my favourite
i think people who say they dont like them need to try again, or are in denial that someone else has one and they dont. why would you swing a 28oz estwing when you can swing a stiletto.
For framing?.......

Because it has no A$$ behind it. I want to shake the earth beneath my feet when I swing a framer. Not dust a chandelier.:jester:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
For framing?.......

Because it has no A$$ behind it. I want to shake the earth beneath my feet when I swing a framer. Not dust a chandelier.:jester:
Yup. Still waiting for an impressive hammer video with one of those feather dusters.:whistling

Reactions: FlaPlumb
1 - 20 of 172 Posts