Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,what style of buildings do you like and why ? For me,it is styles that draw their inspiration from Classical Architecture. Those styles would include Georgian,Federal and Neo-Classical. The latter,was introduced by Jefferson and at times referred to as Jeffersonian.

Some of the reasons I'M drawn to those styles is because I enjoy the symmetry,balance and harmony that is usually used to compose the elevations of those styles. Also,most of those buildings employed a system of ratios to organize the designs and regulating lines employed to assemble the elevations prevented the designs from appearing static.

In the right setting,I also enjoy the Italianate style which was prevalent from about the 1840,s to about the 1890,s.

Look forward to hearing about your favorites.

·
Punching above his weight
13,619 Posts
The more I work with wood as a structural material, the more I hate it.

I went to see Prouve's Tropical House when it was on display in Queens a few years ago and I haven't been able to adjust back to 'Merican home building.

Here's another prototype he did that I'm absolutely in love with.

If I had to ground myself a little, I'd agree with jhark and hdavis and say either craftsman or Spanish/Italian. That or those perfect single level nicely gardened homes that look like the best of modernism and Japanese architecture combined.

If we had to dissolve our civilization and build from the ground up, I vote we let Lou Kahn take a crack at it this time around. It'd be like living on one the habitable moons from the Star Wars universe.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I like Cape Cod style homes and pretty much anything you'd see on the New England coastline between Newport and the Cape. Cedar shingle siding and roofing, natural, weathered, grayish color, etc.

FJN - have you read "Get Your House Right"?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts