Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard a lot about hacks on this site so im curious to know what type of stuff a hack does and what your opinion of them is.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The best way to answer that is to ask how you would know the difference between your own signature and a forgery. You don't need to define your forged signature to know whether or not the signature that you wrote is real.

The same applies when describing a hack compared to a real contractor.

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
The definition of hack has everything to do with attitude and nothing to do with ability.
Oh I don't know about that... known a lot of people who had attitudes that were lacking but they kicked butt with what they did...

IMHO, a hack is someone who says or sells that he can do something, and can't...

·
Registered
568 Posts
To me a hack is the guy with the "it's good enough" attitude. The guy who doesn't really care about his craft, doesn't regard it as anything more than a way to make a buck, the guy who purposefully cuts corners and uses sub par materials because it's cheaper. The guy who knows that he doesn't know the right way of doing something but doesn't give enough of a damn to learn.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
A hack is the guy before me or the guy that got the job instead of me.
Just don't be a googan.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Someone who lacks integrity.

Now define integrity.
OK, I'll play.

1. Someone who doesn't recommend things that are clearly not needed to a homeowner who is relying on honest advice.
  2. Someone who doesn't play dumb and relies on abusive change orders when he "finds things" that he knew would likely be there in order to sell the job.
  3. Someone who actually intends to take care of any issues, even after they are paid in full without bargaining or fighting.
  4. Someone who treats their customers better than they expect to be treated with the "selfish" intent that word of mouth will prevail.

Unfortunately, many potential clients can't see through the tricks and end up getting screwed, which makes us all look bad.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What you call someone when you don't agree with their method....just kidding. It's the "good enough" attitude, when you don't take that extra step to do something the right way.

Cutting corners when you know the client won't know the difference is hackish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ive heard a lot about hacks on this site so im curious to know what type of stuff a hack does and what your opinion of them is.
Soo, now that you have an idea of what a hack does what is your opinion of them?

To me a hack is all of the above plus someone who gets in over their head and instead of being honest and saying that they are just keep plugging away instead of asking for help. IE, my current job the HO hired a "plumber". He was in way over his head with rain shower heads (he had never installed one) and kept trying to tell me that the plastic cover can stick out up to an inch past the finish wall. Now this guy may have used to have been a plumber but things are much different now. especially when a carpenter has to tell him to loop his pipes for the rain shower and to get his mixer valve to only stick out 5/8 from the framing.

I am not even close to being a plumber I just know what I have observed over the years.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
He was in way over his head with rain shower heads (he had never installed one) and kept trying to tell me that the plastic cover can stick out up to an inch past the finish wall.
Rain heads!:laughing:

You're in Texas where attics don't get below 32 degrees often. Imagine that same scenario where it DOES get a little nipply up there and combine it with a hack that installed it.

It happens a bunch up here.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
a hack is the builder that uses the word hack because he just lost a job to someone else that can do the same job for cheaper

1 - 20 of 49 Posts